Author Topic: AC&Y - Ohio's Road of Service  (Read 12117 times)

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
Re: AC&Y - Ohio's Road of Service
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2019, 08:32:48 AM »
Family considerations are taking us back to Ohio. 
Now, back to packing boxes.  Wish me luck.

Hi Steve, What part of Northern Ohio? Will you be close to AC&Y Territory? It's my understanding the (new) W&LE is still keeping the former AC&Y track well polished, but I haven't had the chance to visit the area in person.

On another note, the P&WV Long Valley Branch has become the Penn Central Long Valley Branch, those cursed JPM videos  :D  :facepalm:

Good Luck on your move to the Buckeye State. Will you be able to attend this year's Altoona N Scale show?

Because of my work schedule, I can only attend on Saturday.

Rich S.

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
We'll be on the West side of Cleveland, just west of W117th St, in Lakewood.  I saw the apartment for the first time on Monday.  For an older building (1920's probably) it's nice.  The room designated for the layout will be tight but doable.  Not exactly in AC&Y territory but close enough.  I should be able to visit the AC&Y archives at the Univ of Akron more frequently.

I'll not be attending Altoona this year.  Load up is the Monday after.  Lots to do between now and then.

Steve

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1323
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
My cousin lives in Sheffield Lake, across the highway from that big condo building.
I was going to try to hit that train store while we were there in May, but it was after hours by the time I found it.  Is it any good?

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »
+3
We're just about settled in the apartment.  Just a few lingering boxes to go to storage.  I'm getting too old for this long haul moving stuff.

So far the attention I put into packing has paid off.  The Spur 4 modules survived with no damage.  I was somewhat concerned after seeing how Spencer (S49) was loaded into the storage locker.  Up arrows meant nothing to these guys.

All of the finished modules were up side down at one point or another during the process.   :facepalm:  I haven't opened any of them up yet because there is no reason to do so right now.  It will be a surprise for later.

Spur 4 is (mostly) up.  The photo sequence is from left to right around the room, Goodyear at the end of the spur, General to the right with the Brittain engine house module on the turnback section that is not yet mounted.  No supports attached to the walls.  All done with book cases and simple stands I fabricated from the Greensboro layout lumber before we left.  There are few temporary supports as you will see.

With the modeling desk in the center and the parts cabinets all within easy reach I probably have the most efficient model building setup I've ever had.  Now to get the proper supports in place, get Brittain mounted and put the track back together.  It could be a very productive Winter on the AC&Y.

In mid August we took a break from unpacking to catch the last Cleveland Orchestra concert at their summer home at Blossom Music Center.  What a gem of a facility this is, located in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park .  Picnic during or before the concert and enjoy the cool evening and great music.  A good crowd did just that for a rather eclectic program:  Ives, Bernstein and Rimsky Korsakov. 

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »
+2
It Runs!  I connected (rebuilt is more like it) the most complicated section junction trackwork, hooked up a DC power pack and took ACY 102 for a spin.  No derailments and all the electrical connections seem good.  I am happy.

I don't usually read MRH but took a look at Mike's editorial and Bill's "What's Neat" shout out and it got me to thinking about stuff.  The current effort is 57" high to the rail head and is obviously not as ambitious a project as the Greensboro layout.  I like the closer to eye level height a lot.  That's probably where the third deck would have come to rest in the GSO plan.  Spur 4 was at office chair working height.  It worked OK but the short switching exercise I did this afternoon confirmed something that bugged me about the low deck height:  Rolling around in the office chair didn't seem right.  Can't put my finger on why but it was uncomfortable and took away from the railroading experience we try to achieve.

The GSO layout was to be three decks and even at that, in the moderate space I had, I could tell the layout wasn't going to meet my expectations.  Too complicated to build and likely to maintain, which are close cousins to being "too big", tying back to Mike's thoughts.  I think it hit me when the GSO layout was down, the space was repurposed to what a "normal" person would expect a walkout basement to be, the sun was coming in though the windows and the room looked really great, comfortable.  A layout would have worked in the space, it just would have to be different in scope and purpose, making better use of the unfinished spaces off the primary space.  Something to think about for the next attempt.

Steve

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2019, 06:56:39 PM »
Hi Steve, Glad to hear you and the AC&Y survived the journey to Cleveland. Keep us posted on the progress of the layout.
Rich S.

mstl 246

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2019, 08:59:50 PM »
Always like seeing updates in this thread, glad to see the layout made it through another move Steve!

Nat

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #97 on: Today at 06:01:41 PM »
+1
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  Building in an apartment setting does have it's share of challenges.  The usual saw work and the resulting saw dust is a non starter if peace is to be kept in the household.  The primary reason we moved back North was for aging parents.  Fortunately my Dad was an active do-it-yourself kind of guy so my Mom has no qualms about storing the miter saw and my firing it up when we visit.  One must plan the cuts ahead however.  So far so good.

The backdrop and valence supports have been installed.

I found some 1x2s in the garage and repurposed them for the turn back frame.  Scrap foam board and salvaged pink insulation used for the module packing were glued to the top of the frame.  I don't know if the turn back section will be part of the final design (whenever that may happen) so I didn't want to spend a lot of time and effort on it.  Normally I'd have used plywood rather than foam board but I can cut it with a utility knife and easily glue things together in the apartment.  Cutting plywood - Not so much.  You can see the chief inspector doing what she does best in the bottom photo.  And so we press on.