Author Topic: AC&Y - Ohio's Road of Service  (Read 56202 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
Re: AC&Y - Ohio's Road of Service
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2020, 09:08:37 PM »
+2
Much better.  A new backdrop and "lid" installed between the valence and backdrop to prevent light bounce off the rafters floor joists.  The far end (East end of Brittain Yard) will be closed off with a backdrop and a model of the Roxbury Ave. viaduct.  The main goes beneath the viaduct and on to the Mogadore Valley Industrial District, just as the prototype does.  It's coming together.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:41:45 AM by SAH »

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2020, 07:26:49 AM »
well done

LKOrailroad

• Crew
  • Respect: +178
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
Never heard of Roxbury Ave. Have always known the road as Canton Rd or Rt. 91. Where does the Roxbury reference come from?
Alan

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

http://www.lkorailroad.com

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
When I first found it the Roxbury Ave. reference had me stumped too.  The earliest reference I found is the 1927 proposal drawing.  Darrow Road was an at grade crossing at the East end of Brittain.  I can see how that would be a sore spot with the populace. 

The Sanborn map from the early 1940's shows Roxbury Ave in the upper RH corner.

A Sept 1956 AC&Y News, the employee newsletter, Has a story about a yard extension project.  The text on the cover refers to the Roxbury Viaduct.  I've not been able to figure out where the name Roxbury originated.  The original name of the neighborhood across the river perhaps?

LKOrailroad

• Crew
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2020, 03:23:46 PM »
That explains the odd alignment of the bridge. Also explains the weird angle of the crematory building on the Canton/Gilchrist corner. Roxbury anything doesn't ring any bells with me or my wife. Very interesting. Learn something new everyday.
Alan

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
Just for fun here it is in 1952:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qeb7LrkZmCdgHKan7
and 1957:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xfmtNbPZ1JSuuLka6

I made links so you can click on it and zoom in. In the 1957 map you can see the fresh ballast for the 1956 yard extension.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:57:41 PM by Chris333 »

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2020, 07:21:32 PM »
The 1957 image is quite interesting Chris.  It appears they are bringing fill from the other side of Brittain to build the expressway (now I-76), and crossing the AC&Y yard lead to get there.  To the East of the fill work I think are the remains of the buildings torn down for the expressway right of way.  Ashland Oil (just South of the fill excavation and North of the yard) gained a few more tanks compared with the 1952 view.  And the tanks are large and horizontal!!!???  I have a photo showing the building under construction but little else.  The tank config is a surprise to me.  Thanks for posting the images.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »
Here is more of 1957 showing more of the freeway fill and bridges.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/95mo2qj3uSzQCCcy8

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2021, 11:35:14 PM »
+4
At then end of the Brittain engine service section is East Market St. and the famous New Era restaurant.  It's also where the main and Spur 4 disappear behind the backdrop.  The prototype helps me with Spur 4 (slips beneath the expressway) but not the main.  I'm hoping some foliage and RCA Rubber equipment will draw attention away from the hole in the wall.
A foam board frame will support the vinyl backdrop.

Add stops to hold the foam board in place.

A side view showing the RCA flat, which will be a 3-D model eventually, and the relationship to the AC&Y SHOPS bridge and engine house.

The vinyl backdrop in place.  The Akron expressway runs along the left side of the scene.  Almost a diorama really.

I decided to paint the track before the rest of the backdrops go up.  I turned my little do everything caddie into a paint cart.

After deep cleaning the track I ran a train from one end to the other.  Posed for a photo op at General Tire.  A pretty good couple of weeks.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2021, 01:56:32 AM »
Wow, that's an impressive building...
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

LKOrailroad

• Crew
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2021, 07:31:34 AM »
I-76 bridge is handy for hiding the hole in the wall, eh? I'm doing exactly the same thing on my Spur 4.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Alan

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2021, 08:45:46 AM »
THat is an impressive building, and I like that little caddie that you have set up - I could use something similar.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
+4
All the completed trackage now is properly lit.  It whispers to me "Come on! Get busy!!!".  Shouts is more like it.
Most of the lighting valences are leftovers from prior setups and are 4" high.  When I packed the layout sections to move I ripped some 6" x 4' 1/2 plywood to serve as packing structure, figuring I'd use it some how in the new layout.  Lighting valences turned out to be the destination.  What to do then with the 4" sections?  I chose to use black matte finished foam board, cut to 6" heights and screwed to the existing 4" valences.  You can't tell the difference in the photos and frankly, you don't notice the difference in person either.

An outside corner is one downside of shadowbox construction.  If you're not a six footer the lighting whacks you in the eyes if you look down the layout from the corner to do switching or whatever.  This is not a surprise, but IS the first time I've had to come up with a practical solution.  Baffles turn out to be the solution.  3/16" white foam board.  So far so good.

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2021, 08:20:51 AM »
Nice solution - Curious if you consider building the baffles in black?   Asking because I’ve got a bit of upper deck benchwork & lower deck lighting that ends up being visible from certain angles.....

Thanks
Michel

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2021, 12:33:33 PM »
Valence looks great!   I did something similar and ended up installing baffles in places as well - especially at the end of peninsulas.  What's the height of your lower valence edge?  I set mine at my eye height (I'm 6'1") which of course is perfect for me but gets some complaints from the taller folks since I clip a lot of yardmaster paperwork to the top of the backdrop during op sessions...