Author Topic: Looking for large industrial building window arrays  (Read 3894 times)

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
Re: Looking for large industrial building window arrays
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
Yep, better.

Your lines are better than mine (though mine may be thinner - they were .5 point lines drawn in Adobe Illustrator).  The lines on mine look fine from a few inches away, but up close you can see some spots where the toner didn't quite fill in the line.   What kind of printer are you using?  Mine is an HP Laserjet 2035 (black only).

John

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
Any idea what the best way is to glue acetate (transparency film) to styrene?  The web seems to say Ethyl CA, but I'm open to suggestions . . .

John C.

Gallery Glass by Plaid or Micro Krystal Klear.  They both dry clear and won't fog the acetate.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 03:21:45 PM »
Yep, better.

Your lines are better than mine (though mine may be thinner - they were .5 point lines drawn in Adobe Illustrator).  The lines on mine look fine from a few inches away, but up close you can see some spots where the toner didn't quite fill in the line.   What kind of printer are you using?  Mine is an HP Laserjet 2035 (black only).

John

A big work printer.  Mies just a test- my drawing was made in cad and saved as a PDF.  the red sections are 0.159mm in cad or 1" in 1:1.  I will measure them when I get home.

Thanks for the tip@wazzou, thinking elmers may work for my little windows going in a window frame from the back.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 02:34:59 AM »
  The lines on mine look fine from a few inches away, but up close you can see some spots where the toner didn't quite fill in the line.

That is not a flaw - it is halftoning.  The color laser printer used blends of translucent Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black  toners and the redish color John chose required the printer to apply less than 100% density pattern of those inks to achieve that color.  There are only 7 colors which a CYMK printer can print with 100% (solid) toner density.  Also, any color printed other than black will be translucent and will only show its true color when placed against white background.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
A big work printer.  Mies just a test- my drawing was made in cad and saved as a PDF.  the red sections are 0.159mm in cad or 1" in 1:1.  I will measure them when I get home.

Thanks for the tip@wazzou, thinking elmers may work for my little windows going in a window frame from the back.

A follow up- turns out that the solid hatching I used on the drawing included the lines that the hatching falls within, so the line thicknesses are additive to the overall width of the hatch (red).

Later testing with these lines removed shows that the hatching is indeed very thin, but more testing is required until I am happy with mine.  I will post image results later.

Meanwhile here is an interim test, much thinner but I can't figure out why the horizontal line on the other side of the vertical line thin out like that:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »
A follow up- turns out that the solid hatching I used on the drawing included the lines that the hatching falls within, so the line thicknesses are additive to the overall width of the hatch (red).

Later testing with these lines removed shows that the hatching is indeed very thin, but more testing is required until I am happy with mine.  I will post image results later.

Meanwhile here is an interim test, much thinner but I can't figure out why the horizontal line on the other side of the vertical line thin out like that:

Try using all-black artwork and see how the lines get printed. BTW, what are you using for graphic program?
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
I make a 3D CAD model, to N scale and make a 1:1 drawing of that.  it is very easy to replicate in a matrix that way for me.  I can save the dawing in many formats- dxf, dwg, pdf, jpg, png, svg, and more.

This was saved as a pdf.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 06:55:40 PM »
I make a 3D CAD model, to N scale and make a 1:1 drawing of that.  it is very easy to replicate in a matrix that way for me.  I can save the dawing in many formats- dxf, dwg, pdf, jpg, png, svg, and more.

This was saved as a pdf.

Ok then, if you zoom way in looking at the muntins in the PDF file, does everything look ok or are they different thickness?  I'm tryign to figure out whether it is the CAD->PDF conversion or the Adobe PDF or Printer's driver raster engine.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 07:25:37 AM »
Ok then, if you zoom way in looking at the muntins in the PDF file, does everything look ok or are they different thickness?  I'm tryign to figure out whether it is the CAD->PDF conversion or the Adobe PDF or Printer's driver raster engine.

No they are perfect, I think it may just be printer calibration or something.  Here's the actual PDF I am printing from- no scaling no special anything- default DPI for the printer when color is chosen:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

@peteski  @jdcolombo Here is an image of the latest file with 0.159mm mullions much less fade this time.  And yes the proper term for separators between panes of glass is "mullions",  :D   :trollface: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mullions

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:14:57 PM by Lemosteam »