Author Topic: Old Yankee roads are sneaking into North Carolina.  (Read 755 times)

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
Old Yankee roads are sneaking into North Carolina.
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »
Good evening all,

So I was out doing errands today and cut through the sprawling metropolis on Ranlo, NC.  This is just west of Charlotte,NC.  I knew I should have had my camera but I decided to see what might be sitting on the old Piedmont and Northern.   Big surprise, two Lehigh Valley, red with black stripes, F7A units hooked up to a black smooth side 50's era Erie coach.  They all looked rough.  There was also a CSX unit, with a gray roof, and a Piedmont and Northern modern pickup truck.   My intention is to get back that way tomorrow with a camera.  Does someone out here know what's up?

Bobster out.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +90
Re: Old Yankee roads are sneaking into North Carolina.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
From a forum lurker:

"LV" 576 and 578 are former C&NW F7As that were purchased by NJ Transit in the 80's. They were then donated to the United Railroad Historical Society of NJ, where they were painted in Lehigh Valley colors. They were stored and used at Cape May Seashore Lines in Tuckahoe, NJ, where they sat for recent years. They were then leased to SLRG for use on the Piedmont & Northern, but are currently inoperable.  The passenger car is a "Jersey Builder" car, a former Great Northern car bought by NJDOT in the 70's. It was donated to the URHS and was also stored/used at CMSL along with 4 others.
- Christian J. Davis

Bobster

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 11:27:06 PM »
Good evening all,

First, thank you for the information that I did not have.
I returned to Ranlo, NC today to try to make up for yesterday's failure to bring a camera.  I arrived about 1 PM and got a few pictures: 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

A few cars and trucks showed up with folks wearing Piedmont and Northern Caps.  Apparently the local Santa Train was being cleaned and the cars were about to be returned.  After a bit I got this:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I was told the F7 units were initially brought in as temporary replacements for the F40 units at the left of the picture.   The F40 units need repairs after a collision with a garbage truck. What you see a few posts down in the PRR coaches in North Carolina post was before the garbage man was killed and the engine's left side ripped open.  Since the F7s apparently don't run I don't know what's next.  One of the folks standing around heard the F7s were going to Mississippi for repairs.  Time will tell.

The Santa Train returned to the "yard".  After firing up then removing the CSX SD 50 that had been sitting at the East end of the cars  the caboose, coaches and diner were added to the original line and the MP15 and SD 50 disappeared to the East.

the three cars dropped off were a coach lettered in French that had Baltimore & Ohio painted over.

A coach that had Lackawana painted over

And a Budd Diner painted for Iowa Pacific.  I was told it was an ex NYC car.

Thanks for looking,
Bobster

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:51:22 PM by Bobster »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2808
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:44:31 PM »
Wow an Erie car that doesn't have the cream stripe down it?

Bobster

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:03:17 AM »
Chris333

Christian did say it was originally a Great Northern Car.  maybe the re-painters left the stripe off?
It is very close to my ConCor coach which is GN based.

Bobster out.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 12:26:03 PM »
One of those F units came through near me last week.  Too dark to get a photo.