Author Topic: Sharing My N scale Layout about 25 years in the making  (Read 6833 times)

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: Sharing My N scale Layout about 25 years in the making
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 08:40:36 AM »
Love it gave me a good chuckle. Thanks and love the last caboose , that's great!

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »
Here is the yard switcher.

Hump yard? On the PPR? How does that work?

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »

6600 hp seems like overkill for a hump yard...

If you remove the turbocharger on one of the prime movers and add pair of Roots blowers and a paper air filter, remove the other prime mover, you'd have a nice and efficient DD20

Bonus points if you remove the rear end off the long hood to make a huge a$$ "porch" to increase visibility  :D

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »

Cars roll VERY VERY slowly. 
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »
You just lift up one side of the layout.   :lol:
Aaron Bearden

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 08:33:14 PM »
Love it gave me a good chuckle. Thanks and love the last caboose , that's great!

For proper credit, I should specifically add that one of the original people who worked on these ideas with me was Garry Riccio, co-founder of Eastern Seaboard Models.  He had a lot of fun thinking up some of these.

The last caboose came as I was making this thread.  So that one is a new one.

As to the hump yard DD40 switcher, one of the story lines I was thinking about was that the PPR would steal equipment from other lines.... thinking that no one would notice.  (which of course, is absurd with a DD40).

But just this last week, someone was telling me about a shortline that connected with some mainline roads back in the 30s or 40 (before computers) would somehow acquire freight cars from other lines and not return them-- while still charging local customers for shipping with said equipment.

I have absolutely no idea if such a story is true, but human nature is such that crooks are in lots of places, and if they can get away with something --- they will.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »
But just this last week, someone was telling me about a shortline that connected with some mainline roads back in the 30s or 40 (before computers) would somehow acquire freight cars from other lines and not return them-- while still charging local customers for shipping with said equipment.

I have absolutely no idea if such a story is true, but human nature is such that crooks are in lots of places, and if they can get away with something --- they will.

http://www.trainweb.org/lsbc/theft.html

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 09:10:59 PM »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 01:49:41 AM »
6600 Hp would be overkill for a hump engine, but the unit itself might not be.  Remove one engine, rewire so the remaining engine powers all the motors, and ballast the empty engine compartment.  Hump work is typically 1 to 2 mph, and the biggest problems are motor heating and tractive effort.  Most traction motors aren't designed for continuous operation at very slow speed.

The NP used SW1200s with 4-axle slugs in Pasco, while the BN replaced them with specially equipped ex-GN SD7/9s.  Both had the same idea - spread limited horsepower over multiple axles, so the motors wouldn't overheat.  A derated DD40 would work just as well, and could have been bought for scrap value.
N Kalanaga
Be well

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »
You just lift up one side of the layout.   :lol:

:facepalm:

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2016, 07:19:42 PM »
Your question actually fits the thread.

I have a passion for building what no one else has... or what you can't readily buy.
Thus kitbashing.

This is a U30C backdated a bit to a phase 2.

It has the small grill in the high position indicating an oil bath filter, and the aerodynamic flaring at the roof line just past the exhaust stack.

I published this in an article.

Fell on tight times and had to sell off much of my early collection to pay hospital bills.

Big Soo Line guy who bought it had an article published in N-Scale Mag.  And it was pictured there.

He eventually got out of N scale and Bryan Bussey acquired all or part of his collection.

Bryan offered it back to me.
And I was glad to get it back.

Very different from what I commonly build for CSX.

Nice those flairs scream Soo :)

Definitely inspiration to roll some of my own, will have to track down the article :)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
Nice those flairs scream Soo :)

Definitely inspiration to roll some of my own, will have to track down the article :)

If you are interested in SOO SD40's, I found this cab:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/WRWAHALNT/northern-pacific-sd45-4-window-cab?optionId=59467763

Unfortunately, Kato's N scale SD40 is too wide to borrow the engine room and radiator sections from an Atlas GP40 without dynamic brakes, and the closest part I could find would be for the Kato SD40-2 (which has a seam down the middle that isn't correct for a SD40)

http://www.shapeways.com/product/RTDJ29L6K/sd40-2-db-blank?optionId=57383059

Now that the Sunrise or BLMA handbrakes are made of Unobtanium, the closest part I could find was a Miniatures by Eric handbrake for the GMD SD40-2W.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
Plywood Plains... More than just a veneer of service
... :facepalm: :trollface:
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net