Author Topic: Best prices for ESU Loksound decoders?  (Read 1943 times)

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
Best prices for ESU Loksound decoders?
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
Last weekend, a friend brought over a n scale locomotive with an Loksound decoder installed, that had Full Throttle enabled.  This gives you "Drive Hold" that allows you to throttle up a diesel but the train speed remains constant.  While I don't like a lot of the decoder gimmicks, this seems like a fun feature to have. 

The problem is, as I understand it, is that currently only the LokSound v4 decoders support FT.  So if you want to have a multiple unit consist, they all need to have the sound decoder.   So I did a test last night with two sound-equipped F units in a consist and they sound very nice.  I bet 3 or 4 would be tremendous going up a hill in run-8. 

But I am not wealthy and currently have a bunch of locomotives waiting for decoders.  Two new U25C's will show up soon and I would love to be able to afford to have Loksound in both.  Most online stores I have seen have these decoders in the $85 range.  Has anyone found any place selling them for a better price, perhaps in multiples (e.g. 2/$99) or without sound files loaded?

Bill Kepner

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Best prices for ESU Loksound decoders?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »
The Full Throttle is available on certain sound files for both the V4 LokSound and the Select LokSound decoders.  The V4 is the full featured version which lets you create your own sound files using the LokSound LokProgrammer software.  The Select versions are locked down internally and you can only load the pre-created ESU sound files.  The difference is $30 in MSRP.  The V4's MSRP at $139.99 (except for the large scale versions) and the Selects' MSRP is $109.99 - they just had a price increase from $99.00 so you may find a mixture of prices.  My LHS that carries them still sells Selects for $79.99, but Streamlined Backshop increased the prices not too long ago.

For a LokSound Select, if you can get a Micro for $85 or under, get it.  You won't find much better.

I'm wondering if I can fit a ESU 73800-6P in the Arnold SW1 I just ordered.  It has a 6-pin NMRA connector.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:45:58 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
Last weekend, a friend brought over a n scale locomotive with an Loksound decoder installed, that had Full Throttle enabled.  This gives you "Drive Hold" that allows you to throttle up a diesel but the train speed remains constant.  While I don't like a lot of the decoder gimmicks, this seems like a fun feature to have. 

The problem is, as I understand it, is that currently only the LokSound v4 decoders support FT.  So if you want to have a multiple unit consist, they all need to have the sound decoder.   So I did a test last night with two sound-equipped F units in a consist and they sound very nice.  I bet 3 or 4 would be tremendous going up a hill in run-8. 

But I am not wealthy and currently have a bunch of locomotives waiting for decoders.  Two new U25C's will show up soon and I would love to be able to afford to have Loksound in both.  Most online stores I have seen have these decoders in the $85 range.  Has anyone found any place selling them for a better price, perhaps in multiples (e.g. 2/$99) or without sound files loaded?

Bill Kepner

Hi Bill.

Agree with John R. that $85 is as good as it's going to get price-wise.  You can go to the following web link to find a list of all the LokSound Select files that are Full Throttle enabled:

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/loksound-select/loksound-select-usa/

As John noted, you don't need a V.4; just a LokSound Select Micro with the appropriate sound file.  These decoders are all I use these days: The LokSound Select Micro for sound; the LokPilot Micro for non-sound installs.  They are terrific, IMHO.

John C.

riogrande491

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • Prototype and model railroad photography
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »
I bet 3 or 4 would be tremendous going up a hill in run-8. 

Bill - They certainly do! At the moment I have 3 Loksound V4 decoders in an F3 ABA set. They sound awesome slowly grinding up the A&O's ruling grade in run-8. Now granted, each has a 2" speaker inside the car body. But there is a simple programming trick to make them sound better regardless of scale.

When these units had Soundtraxx DSX decoders, they sounded as if there was one decoder and 3 speakers. The sound was monaural because all 3 decoders played in perfect synch with each other. In a Loksound decoder, we can tweak the playback speed of the prime mover in slot 1. Using LokProgrammer I set one engine to run 3% fast and another 3% slow. Now they sound like 3 separate engines. "Phasing" effects are not obvious when two units go in and out of synch with each other.

I don't know when David will hold the next layout tour, but I'm sure you would enjoy running them around the layout. For now, here is an obligatory shaky, terrible hand-held cell phone video with monaural sound. And sorry, I forgot to turn on the CTC machine so the signals are dark.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains/Model/PandD-F3s/i-D7wrpDw/0/640/Run8%201280-640.mp4

Link to the official A&O web site:
http://www.aorailroad.com

Bob Sobol

AKNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
+1
So far, SBS4DCC has the best pricing for ESU LOKSound decoders that I've found and also has them readily available. That's where I get them, and his customer service is phenomenal too.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »
So far, SBS4DCC has the best pricing for ESU LOKSound decoders that I've found and also has them readily available. That's where I get them, and his customer service is phenomenal too.

+1
. . . 42 . . .

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:32 AM »
+1

+2. Bryan / SBS4DCC is my go-to guy for sound decoders and speakers. Price and customer service are fantastic.
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Xmtrman

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »
+3. Bryan / SBS4DCC  Best prices & service.