Author Topic: Southern Railway help  (Read 1835 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
Southern Railway help
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
Having difficulty finding definitive word on the kind of gold paint for lettering and stripes used on the Black and white SW1500's.  I found a post that noted Dulux gold being used after 1978 on their engines.  The models I have in stock stock are bright gold.  any ideas.

Thanks

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: Southern Railway help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »
According to this site it was gold metallic:

http://www.hosam.com/srr/swrpnt.html

There is little info here: http://southernmodeler.info/PaintDiagrams.htm

But if you contact Allen Stanley as mentioned on that page maybe he can help:

http://southernmodeler.info/email2.htm

Better yet, one of the SOUTHERN fans on RW can answer.  :D

Mark

southern837

• Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
Go to the Facebook page southern railway modelers (US).  Those guys on there are great at helping. 

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:06:49 PM »
+1
From Hosam's excellent site:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 02:44:12 PM »
Bob Graham knows Southern like few other people and what he has written can be taken as Gospel.  He has shared a wealth of information regarding insights dealing with Southern Railway over the years and I am grateful for his wealth of knowledge!!!

For those who don't know who HOsam was, his name was Sam McCall and he was a master modeler and custom painter.  His website has a wealth of information that deals with all sorts of subjects... well worth visiting when seeking information on Southeastern roads.  He passed back in 2003 but his great site lives on and that is something to be grateful for!!!  His information is well worth looking at, to say the least...

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »
+1
Having difficulty finding definitive word on the kind of gold paint for lettering and stripes used on the Black and white SW1500's. 

Thanks

Joe

Oh boy, Joe did you let the cat out of the bag? Can we expect a few Southern SW1500's from Micro-Trains? 

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »
Oh boy, Joe did you let the cat out of the bag? Can we expect a few Southern SW1500's from Micro-Trains?

That's what I figure.

Hmm... my figure is
still svelte...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 04:29:45 PM »

:)
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +267
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
I'm holding out for bankruptcy blue. Until then, my wallet safe.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
I'm holding out for bankruptcy blue. Until then, my wallet safe.

We will have to do the shell with the railing on the car and not on the sill to do a Rock Island...unless you know something I don't (very probably :)  )
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:25:14 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
We will have to do the shell with the railing on the car and not on the sill to do a Rock Island...unless you know something I don't (very probably :)  )

While you are doing up some carbody handrail units, don't forget about the P&LE  :D

Just a few samples of P&LE SW1500 switcher fleet. Note: The P&LE only had 10 SW1500's with the Flexi-coil trucks (1534 - 1543), the remainder of the fleet had AAR switcher trucks.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »
+1
We will have to do the shell with the railing on the car and not on the sill to do a Rock Island...

Well get on it then.  :)

Jason

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »
While you are doing up some carbody handrail units, don't forget about the P&LE  :D

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Just a few samples of P&LE SW1500 switcher fleet. Note: The P&LE only had 10 SW1500's with the Flexi-coil trucks (1534 - 1543), the remainder of the fleet had AAR switcher trucks.

Also IHB:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ihb/ihb9200f14.jpg

Units rebuilt in the 1500 series received the full-length handrails on the sills:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ihb/ihb1500bas.jpg

For all of the PC foamers, IHB's last order (9223-9227) was diverted to PC with IHB paint and numbers, but with PC lettering:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc9227u25.jpg
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:59:14 PM by cjm413 »

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
A River City Rambler would be a fun one some day.  I think there was a Southern version at one point?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3229754
Aaron Bearden