Author Topic: Passenger car possibly useful for modelers of early American RR  (Read 895 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Passenger car possibly useful for modelers of early American RR
« on: December 26, 2016, 12:27:46 AM »
Browsing through DM-Toys website I ran into a BRAWA model of an early passenger car stock # 65255.  While it is depicting European car, the writeup has the following info:
Mr. Klein, a design official, went on a learning trip to the USA. One of the results of his efforts was that the Royal State of W├╝rttemberg Railways K.W.St.E. did not build its first vehicles based on the English style. A sample carriage was bought in the USA and was duplicated as wooden constructions by native factories and craft shops. Until 1867, the K.W.St.E. ordered 350 of these roomy four axle carriages in different versions. In 1899, a conversion program was started where some of the "Americans" were fitted with new addons with modern double windows. From 1906, these carriages were classified as third and fourth class and were used until the 1930s.

I'm not very familiar with the early American RR so I don't know if this car could pass for an American prototype (after removing the buffers?), but I thought that someone might find this info useful.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
Re: Passenger car possibly useful for modelers of early American RR
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 01:11:51 AM »
Looks sorta like a UP Emigrant car from the 1860's-70s.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 12:39:02 AM »
The main difference I can see is that most 1800s American passenger cars had wood sides.  This one looks like it has been rebuilt with steel sides.

On the other hand, well-maintained passenger cars of the period had tightly fit siding with good paint, usually varnished, so the boards wouldn't really show.  Nothing like even a new boxcar (not varnished), and certainly not the weathered wooden cars of the 1940s and later.
N Kalanaga
Be well

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
A neat find none the less!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »
First thing that jumped out at me was Lincoln's funeral railcar. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 01:03:29 AM »
Mecgp7:  My sister and I saw Lincoln's car, or at least its replica, this summer.  It was at the Bluegrass Railroad Museum near Lexington, while touring at least the Midwest.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »
Lincoln Funeral car in Springfield, IL  April 2015

Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.