Author Topic: Locomotive pickups  (Read 1240 times)

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
Locomotive pickups
« on: January 03, 2017, 12:39:28 AM »
Probably been discussed before, but I have some high mileage locomotives that have worn the axle ends through the pickup strip/cones in the trucks, Atlas/Kato SD-7s & 9's, Kato GP35.

Is there any way, or has anyone come up with a way to repair the cones or the pickup strips as a whole, could be an enticing aftermarket opportunity for anyone capable of making such.

I would reckon at least a few dollars to be made (very few), but what a benefit/service.

Just like old cars, we need an aftermarket reproduction spares supplier, if any exist, please point me in the right direction.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the land Down Under

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5518
Re: Locomotive pickups
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:54:01 AM »
+1
You could ask Atlas parts. They sell SD-9 trucks, but you could ask if they just have the truck contacts.
http://shop.atlasrr.com/p-2206-n-sd7-9-truck-assembly.aspx
http://shop.atlasrr.com/p-4008-n-gp-wheel-wiper.aspx
http://shop.atlasrr.com/p-4014-n-gp-30-35-truck-assembly-china.aspx

*** don't take my word that the links are the parts you need. Just did a quick search.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:57:14 AM »
I know of no aftermarket replacement sideframe bearing/pickups for N scale trucks.  The only source I know are the original manufactures of the models.

As far as this being a good business opportunity, this type of request doesn't seem to come up very often (other then Victor Miranda's long term loco testing, and now you) I don't seem to recall many others having this problem.  I doubt that it would be profitable to invest in tooling the dies to make those parts (there are lots of different sizes and shapes out there) just to sell few here and there.

Maybe lack of maintenance/lubrication caused the wear?

As far as repairs go, I don't see a good way to produce a lasting repair.  You could just patch the holes with solder, but since solder is so much softer than the brass/copper/beryllium-copper (or whatever they are made of) the repair would not last long.  Any repair attempted has to preserve the original dimensions of the part.

If the wear actually occurred after hundreds of hours it probably makes sense to just replace the trucks anyways.  Assuming that they are still available for sale.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:04:58 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Teditor

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 01:33:42 AM »
Not lack of maintenance/lubrication or TLC, the problem is a lot of exhibition running and plain simple high mileage wear, the motor brushes were more than half worn as well, as I said, Atlas/Kato, so the brushes were a match, but Atlas only shows complete trucks for the Chinese version and Kato don't show the SD7/9 at all.

Another project to investigate.
Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5518
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 02:09:42 AM »
I would still at least try Atlas. I recently needed a part that wasn't listed on their site and they found it for me.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 02:16:08 AM »
Not lack of maintenance/lubrication or TLC, the problem is a lot of exhibition running and plain simple high mileage wear, the motor brushes were more than half worn as well, as I said, Atlas/Kato, so the brushes were a match, but Atlas only shows complete trucks for the Chinese version and Kato don't show the SD7/9 at all.

It might make sense to look for 2nd hand donor models on eBay. Most 2nd hand models have relatively low mileage on them.
. . . 42 . . .

Teditor

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 04:38:38 AM »
I located the relevant part numbers on the Atlas site (after I opened my eyes and searched more intently), I have contacted  Atlas and am awaiting a reply.