Author Topic: JMRI Roster Export / Import  (Read 1635 times)

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
JMRI Roster Export / Import
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
Had JMRI running on a MacBook with the roster current.  Installed JMRI on an old Dell laptop running XP.  It is linked up and can read/write to the programming track.  I would like to export the roster files from the Mac and Import into the Dell.  Moved the export file over via dropbox.  When I select the import roster option from the menu, nothing happens.  I can select the option to import a specific roster entry but not the entire roster.

Has anyone run into this issue and did you find a solution other than doing this engine by engine?

Thanks - Ross

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: JMRI Roster Export / Import
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
Have not done this... yet... but it may take more than just the roster file alone. I'm not an expert and others are most encouraged to add to this discussion, but JMRI may keep reference keys to the roster entries in the master configuration files. I've programmed on similar systems, and you have to move everything before it'll work.

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
With additional info from the JMRI discussion group and trial and error, I have found you can move the roster engine by engine.  I selected the export roster entry option and saved to a Dropbox account.  On the XP computer, I was able to import the engine file. The programming track found the entry and all looked good.  Not the most efficient method, but it is better than pulling each loco and going through the process on the programming track.

Ross

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 02:37:42 PM »
+1
I just copy the roster.xml file from the JMRI directory .. usually under the users account in windoze  and the associated roster directory file to the new computer ..

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »
I THINK you can multi-select the roster entries when you export.
I know I just did something very similar.

John, I tried looking for the file, but I couldn't turn it up.

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  The export was not the issue as it created the file.  The problem arose on the XP machine where it would not allow you to import the roster file.  When you clicked on it, nothing happened.  However, when you clicked on import a specific entry (not the exact wording), it would bring the file in.  Not the end of the world as there are only 35 or so engines. 

I could not find the roster file either mentioned in the other post.