Author Topic: What is this steam locomotive thing? (small port on smokebox side)  (Read 2410 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: What is this steam locomotive thing? (small port on smokebox side)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Chris,
The flexible beading needles are just a couple of fine wires twisted together from what I can see.  Am I missing something?

It is what David used and looks very fine.

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
 The N & W Pacific at the Ohio Railway Museum has one of these little caps also , I remember it when I helped paint it the last time . I think it may have been maybe 8 " in diameter and it was maybe 1/2 a turn to remove it . I think the chain was smaller than 1" more like 1/2 "  I could check this Sunday and get a pic if you need it ........Mike

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »
   I'll hate myself for saying this, but there are some things that are just too small to actually model in N Scale.

..... and DKS chuckles to himself.    :trollface:
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »
+1
The N & W Pacific at the Ohio Railway Museum has one of these little caps also , I remember it when I helped paint it the last time . I think it may have been maybe 8 " in diameter and it was maybe 1/2 a turn to remove it . I think the chain was smaller than 1" more like 1/2 "  I could check this Sunday and get a pic if you need it ........Mike

Thanks, Mike.  But that will not be necssary.  I have a pretty good handle on what it looks like.  And for something that is only 1/16" across, it doesn't have to be precise down to the last inch.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  But that will not be necssary.  I have a pretty good handle on what it looks like.  And for something that is only 1/16" across, it doesn't have to be precise down to the last inch.

Says the man who fashioned his own driver spokes and tender trucks.  Don't let up now mister!   :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: