Author Topic: N Scale "Big Blow" Turbine Delivery Update  (Read 3709 times)

scaletrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
N Scale "Big Blow" Turbine Delivery Update
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »
+7
An open letter about delivery of our N Scale "Big Blow" Turbines

"Dear N Scale Modelers,

Over the past few days, we have been evaluating N Scale "Big Blow" Turbine production models with our engineering team at the factory.  We planned to air freight the locomotives shortly after our visit for delivery by the end of December.

The separately applied detail parts, painting, and printing are amazing.  Unfortunately we found performance to be inconsistent.  Some 3-unit sets operate quite well together and others do not.  As modelers, we know function is just as important as looks.  Because of our commitment to offering the highest quality and most accurate models humanly possible, we have made the difficult decision to delay shipping.

We believe we have found a resolution and require more time for additional testing and implementation.  We're confident we'll deliver the locomotives during the first quarter of 2017.  Once we have a solid timeline, we'll provide a more accurate delivery date.

We’re as disappointed as you are and apologize for the inconvenience and any frustration this may cause.  We know some N Scale "Big Blow" Turbines were intended to be Christmas gifts and are truly sorry they will be not be here in time.   Even though we all want the models now, I'm sure we can agree it’s better to fix the problem rather than ship the locomotives and be disappointed with their operation.

We understand if you prefer not to wait and would like to cancel your order.  To make order changes, please e-mail us Sales@scaletrains.com with your order number and instructions.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and support as we strive to deliver the best model possible.

Merry Christmas from our entire crew.

Shane

Shane Wilson
President
ScaleTrains.com, Inc."

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
Re: N Scale "Big Blow" Turbine Delivery Update
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »
Thank you for the heads up. A locomotive is useless unless it runs well. Especially at this price point! A few months delay is no big deal. In fact, for me the timing is better. I ordered one and was hoping to get a second one, but around Christmas the wallet isn't that full. A few months from now it won't be a problem.

And a very Merry Christmas to the staff at Scaletrains!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »
Hmmmmm maybe then there is enough time to throw a #1 in the offering so I can too wait patiently ? ;) ;) ;)

Richie Dost

bobdobbs

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »
Impressive candor.  Rather wait for perfection than deal with rushed mistakes.  I remember other companies rushing to produce and dealing with returning units, etc...
[

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »
As much as I was hoping for a present to myself under the tree, I'm more than patient enough to wait another month or so for my Big Blow, no worse than also waiting on the Big Boy to come in and pushed out another 6 months again. I would rather have it "perfect" than disappointed with issues.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
 Good communication, committed to doing it right, I am on board and fine with waiting.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 10:00:29 PM »
Patience grasshopper....
The HO ones are out, and they look and sound amazing (with the sound turned down). I got to run one today :D
Otto K.

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 11:33:19 PM »
 Best to wait for a "BigBlow" that doesn't ....blow.... :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 11:53:07 PM »
Scale Trains made the right decision by delaying the release to fix the unforeseen problem It is also nice to (in today's Internet-connected world) to make this announcement.  Thank you Shane.  We have waited (more or less patiently) for many years with other models - I don't mind waiting a bit longer to have a well-running model.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
+1
I received my e-mail notice from Shane just a couple of hours ago. That's fine, thanks for keeping us posted, and we certainly understand.

I'm actually slightly relieved. As much as these are the iconic locomotives for my chosen railroad to model, the right era as well as region... this delays what will be a tense conversation with the CFO about "You spent HOW much on MORE locomotives??!? Don't you have enough?!?!? Finish the damn layout first! :x "

See? The guilt has already set in. :facepalm:

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 02:58:32 AM »
I haven't seen them listed for sale anywhere so I haven't ordered one, but kudos to Shane for the update.
Peter Pfotenhauer

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 06:17:32 AM »
Whew!! This is very good news.

NOT ALL of us wanted to see this before Xmas. Some of us are just too damn poor. Take your time Shane. Delay away!!
Buffering...

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »
I can wait if it means getting the bugs out. Even though I don't need one, I want one! The HO model is simply gorgeous :o
Otto K.

Colorado_Bob

• Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 06:52:15 PM »
I received the same message and responded... "Don't you dare cancel my order!" along with my praise of and thanks for the message.

I, like the majority of you, want the locomotive to be the best.  I highly respect and appreciate their decision to delay shipment until they are satisfied that WE will be satisfied.  That's good business.

Peter - As far as I am aware, these can only be ordered directly from ScaleTrains.

wishj

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »
I was disappointed at first after receiving the email however I am happy to wait as  it would have been disappointing and costly to send it back from Oz if it was not right John