Author Topic: TurboTrain help...  (Read 8159 times)

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
Re: TurboTrain help...
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 01:14:48 AM »
A five-car Amtrak Turbo would need a box more than two feet long.
We could split the nine-car VIA/CN sets in two to fit the same length box.
Don't forget about the 37-car version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LAU1wF1Qgw

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 02:57:35 AM »
Don't forget about the 37-car version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LAU1wF1Qgw

:facepalm:
 :)

That set would need to be shipped in a 6 10 15  20 (?) foot long piece of PVC pipe!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:59:55 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 03:17:31 AM »
Can you do the electrical connections similar to how Apple handles their power adapters on their laptops? Magnets hold the connector In place but easily give way when pulled apart deliberately or accidentally.

Martin Z

Can you try something along the technology of those magnetic chargers that you see for cell phones nowadays?  For example:
https://www.amazon.com/NetDot-Generation-Magnetic-Charger-Adapter/dp/B019MZKHO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482270014&sr=8-1&keywords=magnetic+phone+charger

Not to mention that a fixed truck would likely kill the minimum radius that the train could negotiate.

DFF

This idea would be the way to go, I like this idea.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2016, 01:38:49 PM »
This idea would be the way to go, I like this idea.

Isn't that method basically the splitting of a transformer , one winding in each unit . I don't think enough current could be passed for anything other than a trickle charge to a battery in the receiving unit that has the secondary winding of the transformer ? Or am I wrong ? Also the size , how small vs efficiently generating current can these be made and at what these will cost ?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:08:22 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2016, 02:28:49 PM »
Isn't that method basically the splitting of a transformer , one winding in each unit . I don't think enough current could be passed for anything other than a trickle charge to a battery in the receiving unit that has the secondary winding of the transformer ? Or am I wrong ? Also the size , how small vs efficiently generating current can these be made and at what these ?

Correct.  It is basically an air-core transformer.  The power transfer is also in a  single direction. if the entire train needed  power (for lighting of the interior or the rear lights) this would not work.  Even if the circuit could be miniaturized and made robust enough to provide 3000-400mA of current, the cost cost of those units make the price of the Turbo train a but unreasonable.
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2016, 01:54:47 AM »
I'm thinking more of a physical connection that is held together with magnets.....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2016, 06:20:28 AM »
I'm thinking more of a physical connection that is held together with magnets.....

^This.

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2016, 09:31:19 AM »
Is there any way to get wire leads welded on those itty bitty neoblahblah magnets ? I have experimented with spring loading a connection to it on a steamer I have yet to finish . Steel pin and wire on the tender end  , and a tube with the magnet inside followed by a spring and wire in that tube and all sealed shut except for the end facing the tender glued under the cab . That is where the steel pin on the wire sticks in making a single wire connection from tender to loco . It can work in a for sale by a manufacturer model but it needs the proper engineering for polarity fool proofing , size , looks , and the ability to be pulled apart by the wires 100 times without failing .

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
Is there any way to get wire leads welded on those itty bitty neoblahblah magnets ? I have experimented with spring loading a connection to it on a steamer I have yet to finish . Steel pin and wire on the tender end  , and a tube with the magnet inside followed by a spring and wire in that tube and all sealed shut except for the end facing the tender glued under the cab . That is where the steel pin on the wire sticks in making a single wire connection from tender to loco . It can work in a for sale by a manufacturer model but it needs the proper engineering for polarity fool proofing , size , looks , and the ability to be pulled apart by the wires 100 times without failing .

Interesting ideas but  I think that cost of R&D and production of those connectors would probably make it prohibitive for being incorporated in models. The other problem I see with magnets is that for the small size we need N scale (for 4, 6, or 8 pin connectors) the pulling power of even those strong magnets will be very weak.
. . . 42 . . .

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
The lights in the power dome car can be powered from pick-ups on their 4-wheel trucks.

For all the intermediate cars, factory install an "Easy-Peasy" type lighting system in each car - BUT, locate the sockets for the replaceable button cell batteries in the bottom of each car under a cover so they can be more readily changed without having to disassemble the car. This way you can have interior lighting for the intermediate cars without needing any power pick-ups on the single-wheel articulated trucks.

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 05:28:13 PM »
Interesting ideas but  I think that cost of R&D and production of those connectors would probably make it prohibitive for being incorporated in models. The other problem I see with magnets is that for the small size we need N scale (for 4, 6, or 8 pin connectors) the pulling power of even those strong magnets will be very weak.

Note that, since some people use strong under-track magnets for various purposes (like uncoupling), you would want to check to ensure that any ferrous metal or magnets near the bottom of the prototype didn't have undesired side-effects. 

MH

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 04:03:02 PM »
Hi guys,

Happy New Year!

I just wanted to give you an update. We think we've solved the issue and we can have both electrical pickup and lighting throughout the train, as well as properly sprung articulated trucks.

I don't want to share the design here because it is VERY CLEVER....  :D

Once we have working samples I will post detailed photos of how it works.

-Jason

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
Excellent - I had faith in Rapido!  I just hope that it doesn't involve those high-friction wheel-back pickup wipers.  ;)

If it really is that clever, unless you patent it, others will probably imitate it (just like the Kato low-friction truck design).  I've heard that design was not Kato's original, but even so they seemed to have introduced it to N scale and the design works so well that it is now widely imitated.
. . . 42 . . .

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
:facepalm:
 :)

That set would need to be shipped in a 6 10 15  20 (?) foot long piece of PVC pipe!

What was the standard length for Penn Central and Amtrak turbo trains in revenue service (i.e. not during the nationwide tour)?

Javier

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
2 or 3 intermediate cars, so 4 or 5 cars total.  i always liked the symmetry of the 5 consist.

http://history.amtrak.com/archives/ua-turbo-in-amtrak-paint/@@images/e1015c4b-c2eb-483c-8705-3074fc56b0e1.jpeg

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.