Author Topic: Sears compressor recommendations?  (Read 1709 times)

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
Sears compressor recommendations?
« on: October 30, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
Group:
I was given a very nice Sears gift card for my birthday and thought about using the gift card to purchase a compressor from Sears that I could use not only for spray painting trains but also around the house - if needed -such as driving a brad gun or similar. Any suggestions based on actual experience for products that are still for sale at Sears?

Kind regards,
Bill

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Sears compressor recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »
+2
For a general purpose compressor that is also good for model railroading, I would try to find one that is "ultra-quiet".  They're more expensive, but not as annoying when you're trying to airbrush.   If you can use the gift card online, Sears sells just about anything you can imagine, brand wise.

Here's the one I ended up with.   I like it, but admittedly haven't done a lot of airbrushing with it.
http://www.sears.com/california-air-tools-4610alfc-ultra-quiet-oil/p-00949116000P?sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9   I think I paid $225 for it a few years ago.
An argument can be made for just buying a cheaper "garage compressor" and then one of the dedicated airbrush compressors or a CO2 tank for airbrushing.   I needed something quieter though, and neither of those are that. (except for the CO2 tank, which I hope to get at some point)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:29:41 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
+3
I would still like to know what is the proper forum for a post like this....Product Discussion?  (it *is* a product)   ...Scenery Techniques or W,D,and S? (airbrushing)   ...Crew Lounge?   I really think the scale specific forums are a good place...seems to be more exposure but maybe not.

I get it....a-holes are gonna a-hole, and we got one that thinks he's the only person in the world with OCD.  Fine.   So, you either keep butting heads and he just keeps bullying everyone or you acquiesce and play the game so that peace is possible.   So yeah, I'm there....he wins...whatevs....but please just give us guidance as to the proper way this needs to go.   Topic sorting, thread drift, and any of the other transgressions against Rainman.  Please, what are the rules?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:06:35 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Bill H

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »
Hi Doug:
First thanks for the recommendation on the air compressor. Second, I really wasn't sure where to post the question myself. As I had seen other questions regarding air brushes on this board, thought I would give it a shot and assumed the admins would move it if I was wrong. Where ever it ends up is fine with me, I just appreciate the answers.

Last, as to the now deleted response to my post, well, everybody has a bad day, and frankly everybody does try to help in their own way, most of the time.  At least it does not get as bad as the old A board.

Kind regards,
Bill

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »
everybody has a bad day, and frankly everybody does try to help in their own way, most of the time.  At least it does not get as bad as the old A board.

Bill, I agree.    Like I said above...I need to take the higher road....no sense in continuing to butt heads.   Sort of hard though when every other post gets nitpicked and it's beyond annoying when you're trying to simply provide help without having to consult Roberts Rules of Order every time.   

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 07:37:12 PM »
+1
Don't sweat it guys, sometimes things end up wrong but an admin makes it right (or adds the N icon) and all becomes good.

I would have recommended getting a compressor made for airbrushing.  Smaller, quieter and can fit under your airbrush workspace.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
Don't sweat it guys, sometimes things end up wrong but an admin makes it right (or adds the N icon) and all becomes good.

Words to live by... this should be a sticky or a banner :D

Bill, a brad nailer won't require much, a small pancake compressor will do the trick if that is all you need it for.
If you are getting into sanders or grinders or impact tools you are going to want something with alot more capacity.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Bill H

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »

I would have recommended getting a compressor made for airbrushing.  Smaller, quieter and can fit under your airbrush workspace.
Hi Tom:
Any specific compressor recommendations - specific to airbrushing?

TIA,
Bill

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Hi Tom:
Any specific compressor recommendations - specific to airbrushing?

TIA,
Bill

I've been using the Badger 180 for 12 years now.  It doesn't have a tank, but it does cut off so it isn't continuously running. 

Some "pros" would probably get a piston Iwata with a tank.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 05:44:52 PM »
I don't like hobby compressors..Overpriced because they're for modeling...I work at night, so nights off are a good time for me to paint. I started with a small semi portable shop style compressor(about 70$), with a one gallon tank. This was enough to paint one maybe two models..I upgraded to a 3 gallon, and now I can paint whatever I need to in the course of a night...I charge it up during the day while I'm not in the room....Painting in silence(well, almost) is relaxing, painting with compressor noise was not...Just get an extra moisture trap, these are important, and not too expensive either..

Compressed air is compressed air, at least to me...YMMV