Author Topic: The GDRMCo v2.0  (Read 1284 times)

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
The GDRMCo v2.0
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »
+2
Well a couple years, several moves interstate and another coming.....GDRMCo v1.0 never got to the tracklaying stage and I've since lost the space I had for it....

Now I haven't got a space dedicated for a layout *yet* but we are moving in Jan/Feb and I've made it a priority to find somewhere with a spare room. Looking around most rooms are about 10x10-12x16ft in size so I've gone with 10x15ft as a working point and I'll be finding somewhere that has a room that size. We'll be in the same place for atleast 5 years so this layout can finally get some real progress (maybe even "finished").

So without rambling too much more here's the trackplan.
Metric it's 3100x4600mm and covers 2 levels with a lower staging level.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Operations wise there's long thru freights, ore and coal trains, acid, fertiliser, concentrates and a passenger service.
On layout there is the three coal mines that will be served by trains of rotary gons and live loads. Pentland and Mt Coolon are both balloon loops while Mt Wyatt is a siding.

Grades wise the lower level will be mostly flat with a slight grade down from the Burdekin River end to the other helix (Charters Towers is on the west side of the Great Dividing Range). Spurs will have level track.
Mt Coolon to Summit will be a steep grade and require bankers out of the loop for loaded trains. A pair of banking locomotives will be based out of the industry siding there and will push trains up to Summit. The lead unit will have a special U shaped coupler to enable it to push the car ahead but cut off on the fly so the loaded trains won't have to stop to cut the bankers off.

Each mine and Charters Towers has a fuel unload (storage facility at Charters Towers) and a warehouse to supply fuel and machinery and food supplies to the mines. A reefer and 60' boxcar will be required at each and will be served by a dedicated supply train.

Intermodal traffic is conveyed as part of a general freight train each way, cars will be dropped off and picked up from the Intermodal yard.
The general freight will also drop off the cars for the supply train.

Most other trains will simply pass thru on the mainline.

I've been considering adding a locomotive facility at Charters Towers for the Mt Coolon bankers and trains passing thru if needed. Would also be somewhere to park locomotives for a little display of sorts.

At the Charters Towers station there is a track behind the platform for a MOW set (building a "first response" track repair train to base there) and the local shunter will store at this track also.

Thoughts?

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: The GDRMCo v2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:05:20 AM »
Leggy,
Looking good.
I know this is a rough drawing.. However, I think the main yard turnouts wont fit as they are too tight.
Can I suggest that you get yourself a copy of Anyrail. Up up the room size and plan it out while you wait for the move.. This will give you a realistic size of the turnouts, track spacing, radius etc.
If you want a hand setting it up ready to start laying track then let me know. I have a copy of anyrail and can create the base file and I can email it to you..

Looks like the starts of a great plan
Brendan..
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »
Leggy,
Looking good.
I know this is a rough drawing.. However, I think the main yard turnouts wont fit as they are too tight.
Looks like the starts of a great plan
Brendan..

+1 here!
Two comments:
One, I would rethink the track schematic where the two coal branches split off the double track mainline; the current plan seems inflexible to me in that branch trains coming or going have a limited number of tracks to access and no direct connection to the mainline.
Two, unless I'm missing something,  your helix and the lower deck backdrop will protrude in front of your upper deck, so you actually have more space on the upper level.
I think your locomotive models are exquisite, and it would be very nice to see them on a home layout.
(Perhaps some open engine service tracks next to the river?)
Looking forward to seeing some progress!
Best, Otto K.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
Oh, one more thing Leggy.... Your upper deck seems way too high to me. My upper deck summit is at 65" or 165cm to you, and I built a 6" (15cm) platform to view it and reach it more comfortably. And I'm almost 6-2" (187). Your viewpoint may vary....test it out first.
Otto K.

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 07:59:58 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I'll take the above into consideration  (especially  Anyrail).