Author Topic: Scale Trains' UP Turbine Visits the NKP  (Read 1710 times)

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
Scale Trains' UP Turbine Visits the NKP
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »
At yesterday's operating session on the N-scale NKP, we hosted three special guests: Shane Wilson, from Scale Trains, Inc., his son Brendan, and a fully-operating N-scale UP turbine (a/k/a "Big Blow").  This was a production sample; deliveries of production models should come soon, I think, but they are not yet "on the water."

The model is as exquisite as I remember seeing at the National Train Show in Indy, and this time I can confirm that the sound and operation are as just as high a level as the detail on the model.

Shane took some video of the Big Blow running around the layout - it was done with an iPhone, so it's a bit shaky in spots, but some of you may be interested in seeing it (the videos are posted on Scale Trains' Facebook page, so if the links below don't work, go here: https://www.facebook.com/scaletrains/ ):

https://www.facebook.com/scaletrains/videos/1257145484307959/

https://www.facebook.com/scaletrains/videos/1257148264307681/

https://www.facebook.com/scaletrains/videos/1257151970973977/

I'll probably end up buying one of these for use at N-Trak setups, or maybe I'll just pretend the NKP "borrowed" it on its way from Erie west.  It really is an outstanding model.

John C.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:30:30 PM by GaryHinshaw »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Scale Trains' UP Turbine Visits the NKP
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
Beautiful model, thanks for posting the links. I also had seen one of the pre-production models, in my case at the StL RPM meet. As a result I ordered two non-sound units.

This said in recognition of your expertise in N model sound: hearing the audio-equipped version in action, I have no regrets. Turbines and their prototype use (mainline only) make the case why model sound has limits. The real locomotives were banished from the greater Los Angeles area because of the noise. Scaling that to 1:160, on a large layout like mine (will be) or on a train show layout, the steady turbine whine will become tedious in about 20 seconds, and baseball-bat material after five minutes or so. This isn't an Alco switcher burbling around handling cuts of cars.

jdcolombo

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
Yeah, I agree that you probably wouldn't want to fire up the turbine sound for very long unless you turned the volume down.  The sample had the factory defaults for volume; I've found that ESU's defaults for the prime mover volume are simply too loud (if a good speaker/enclosure combo is used) for a normal layout.  If you turned the volume down and only engaged the turbo only on the mainline between towns, then I think the sound would be bearable and it would add an operational detail as well.  But it's true that I find diesel sound interesting only when the prime mover is throttling up or down or you're using the horn/bell.  The steady drone of a prime mover - even an ALCO - at speed along the mainline does get . . . uninteresting . . . after a while.
John C.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »
I can't see 'cause I don't trust facebook . What number was on that Super Turbine ? Big Blows were the small turbines . I can only use 1-3 and I have an Overland 3 , I really want the 1 .
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:20:05 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

jdcolombo

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 05:06:59 PM »
It was #5.

John C.

Xmtrman

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »
Big Blows were the small turbines .

The folks that worked that era for the UP (like my retired brother-in-law) referred to all the turbines as "Big Blows".

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »
Big Blows were the small turbines .

Not according to nearly everything I've read on the Internet (I know, obligatory)
But according to all of the articles, the last order, the 8500 HP units were termed Big Blows.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 01:18:11 AM »
The folks that worked that era for the UP (like my retired brother-in-law) referred to all the turbines as "Big Blows".

Well what the hell does he know .................  :oops:, 'cept everything . Big Blows it is then . Thanks

Richie Dost

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 06:27:09 AM »
Nice videos .. also, good looking layout ..

BruceStikkers

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 06:55:04 PM »
The Big Blow was really a great locomotive. I was able to run it at the Colombo operating session. Since I have one on order I asked Shane about the delivery schedule. The production work is nearly complete and final inspection by him in China will be by mid-December. They will come here via air freight, so they will not spend much time getting here. The Scale Trains website shows December delivery and that still looks like it will happen, but as noted above late December looks the most likely schedule now.

The videos John Colombo refers to show the tender without paint. The two powered units are painted and decalled so the tender looks strange in the video in raw plastic.

The Urbana, Illinois train show will be April 1 & 2, 2017 and John and I hope to double head them at that show. The sound is great and just like the real ones these do scream through the turbine. They are really nice.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:01:31 PM by BruceStikkers »

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 11:39:48 PM »
+1

The Urbana, Illinois train show will be April 1 & 2, 2017 and John and I hope to double head them at that show.

Bats @ the ready!  ;)
Buffering...