Author Topic: Adventures in prototypical True-Scale coupler pockets.  (Read 77382 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Adventures in prototypical True-Scale coupler pockets.
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »
Jason, happy to try it out whenever you are.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »

Any chance that this pocket will be for sale? I've been following this thread for a while, and am ready to take the plunge for a nice long string of 33' hoppers!

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
Any chance that this pocket will be for sale? I've been following this thread for a while, and am ready to take the plunge for a nice long string of 33' hoppers!

Yeah, I just want to check the last batch I got for any issues.  I'll try and do that tonight and get those back up for sale.

Jason

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2017, 09:13:32 PM »
Awesome! 

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2017, 01:44:57 AM »
+1
Okay, I looked at the Standard Coupler Boxes I received and everything looks good.

Here's the link:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZB89BKJWG/standard-true-scale-coupler-box

If you have any questions about the coupler modification, let me know.  I'm hoping to put something together that's more formal than whatever is in this thread.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
+2
So an update on the ore car adapter.

I got out of my own way and decided to do a one-size-fits-all solution.

This pocket should allow for modified couplers, stock couplers and drawbars.  Also the choice of using a screw or the press fit lid.

I just ordered these and if they work, that should complete all the testing I need to do before opening them up for sale.  The only issue is that the drawbars are in a test material (HP fusion) because FXD would be too brittle.  I assume the HP material will be live at some point soon.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »
Cool. Standing by.

I'm guessing that HP Fusion is Shapeways' HDA since that's still a maker-only material. Yes? No? Maybe?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
Cool. Standing by.

I'm guessing that HP Fusion is Shapeways' HDA since that's still a maker-only material. Yes? No? Maybe?

It's not the HDA.  Shapeways calls it HP Strong and Flexible.  It's HP Multi Jet Fusion material.  Basically the machine that HP announced when it threw it's hat into the 3D printing ring a few years ago.

I went through my models and ordered several that I've previously printed in FXD that passed the first inspection on the website for the HP material even though I know they don't meet some of the HP specs.  I think a couple parts will be rejected.  The drawbars should be okay though as I drew them with the HP material in mind.

Jason

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2017, 06:15:38 PM »
Okay, I looked at the Standard Coupler Boxes I received and everything looks good.

Here's the link:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZB89BKJWG/standard-true-scale-coupler-box

If you have any questions about the coupler modification, let me know.  I'm hoping to put something together that's more formal than whatever is in this thread.

Jason

Just to be clear, is there anything different about these boxes than the previous ones I ordered several months ago?  I'm getting my new workshop set up and one of the first things I'll be doing after I get that done is using your coupler boxes I ordered several months ago to start converting my fleet to TrueScale couplers.  Do I have a reason to NOT use the other boxes??

Just askin'

Just to let you know Jason, I think what you're doing for the hobby is TOP NOTCH!!  My kudos to you and your efforts, and your desire to make your work available to the rest of us!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:30:06 AM by robert3985 »

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2017, 06:48:16 PM »
Just to be clear, is there anything different about these boxes than the previous ones I ordered several months ago?  I'm getting my new workshop set up and one of the first things I'll be doing after I get that done is using your coupler boxes I ordered several months ago to start converting my fleet to TrueScale couplers.  Do I have a reason to NOT use the other boxes??

Just askin'

Bob, there have been a few changes over time.  The most significant was going to the flat head screw lid.  I think I had to beef of the depth of the lid where the screw was to prevent cracking.  Mike suggested to better cover where the coupler post was with the lid so I did that and now I have a push on version of the lid.  But the box has pretty much remained the same from what I can remember.

If you have the pre-flat head version, it will still function the exact same as long as you have the clearance for the screw head.

FWIW, I'm going to start a new box that's slight wider to allow for more swing.  It wouldn't surprise me if at your radii that you could use the standard box for pretty much everything up until the 85'+ cars.  I test with a 15" radius and once I get beyond the 53' flats, there starts to be swing issues.

Please let me know what your experience is.  Always looking for a better way to design these.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »
Well as expected, all my models except for the drawbars failed the manual inspection for the trial HP material.   :P

But the drawbars are what's important and they went to print.  Hopefully will get a shipping notice on those and the FXD parts for the ore adapters this week.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »
The HP material - is it what they call "Premium" on the "Strong and Flexible" materials page? I don't see anything that IDs a material by "HP".

There were a lot of caveats about S&F material minimums being affected by the polishing process. Is that what rejected your tests?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:10:22 PM by C855B »

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
+2
The HP material - is it what they call "Premium" on the "Strong and Flexible" materials page? I don't see anything that IDs a material by "HP".

There were a lot of caveats about S&F material minimums being affected by the polishing process. Is that what rejected your tests?

I don't think the HP material shows up unless you have a shop.

I sort of went through this with the FUD/FXD.  I'd send some files and see what happens and make adjustments etc...  For all of my HP files it was the sprues or tabs that they rejected (all of which passed the first automated inspection).  :)  Easy targets for sure.  I imagine they just stopped there and sent me a picture and cancelled the order.  I'll beef those up and resend and see what happens.  On the ore adapter for instance it was the tags that connects the coupler lids to the adapter for printing.   :P  I'll fix that, but I'm pretty sure the wall thickness of the coupler box will fail after that.  But I'll keep testing.  I'd really like to get the locomotive journals printed in black.   I wish there was an easy way to get a part tested without ordering it.  It really messes an order up when most of the items are canceled. 

Jason

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »
+1
FYI these are great! I was able to get them on a pair of 50 ton 33' hoppers yesterday. I have no trouble getting them through the 9" radius turns on my City Terminal which is based on the Bronx Terminal. Very anxious to get these on a few boxcars to see if they will allow me to use these couplers on all of the equipment on the CT. Excellent work, I will be getting more!

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2020, 02:40:23 PM »
I just got pockets for Atlas ore cars, they look pretty good to me. I'm waiting for couplers to arrive. I thought I had some...

Randy