Author Topic: When MTL start putting posts on their coupler boxes?  (Read 1120 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
When MTL start putting posts on their coupler boxes?
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:41:06 AM »
I am finally assembling the undec MTL RPO I modified and when it came to installing the body-mounts I was blown away by the fact that the coupler comes with a little push pin that clips right into the coupler mount hole! Is that how all MTL coupler sets are now made? No more screwing around? :facepalm: :trollface:
Are the  assembly-yourself couplers have the same feature?  How come I never heard about this before now? It's a really great idea, wonder why it took so long.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:42:09 AM by GaryHinshaw »

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
Re: When MTL start putting posts on their coupler boxes?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:11:07 AM »
the kits still use screws... likely the pins on factory installed couplers are to speed up the assembly process...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:23:51 AM »
I wanna say I first saw them on a Z scale reefer.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 03:52:42 AM »
I am finally assembling the undec MTL RPO I modified and when it came to installing the body-mounts I was blown away by the fact that the coupler comes with a little push pin that clips right into the coupler mount hole! Is that how all MTL coupler sets are now made? No more screwing around? :facepalm: :trollface:
Are the  assembly-yourself couplers have the same feature?  How come I never heard about this before now? It's a really great idea, wonder why it took so long.

The coupler and the draft gear box are still the standard items (they take 00-90 screw) but they have always used a plastic pin to retain it on all their heavyweights.  I don't have any other MTL models with body-mounts to see how they fasten them.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 04:08:13 AM »
I looked up the reefer I was thinking about and it looks like they came out in 2011. So their heavyweights must have been the first they were used and I just never looked at them (still waiting for single window coaches you may know).
http://www.zscalemonster.com/mt/518-00-000/

I'm sure they are just to make assembly easier for the crew. And the pin is probably cheaper than buying screws.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:11:18 AM by Chris333 »

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
We started that a few years ago to try and help out assembly.  Tapping and threading takes a lot of effort, these help keep that cost down.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:19:47 PM »
And i thought it was for coupler box swing...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 03:36:03 PM »
And i thought it was for coupler box swing...

No, that was unintended consequence.

f you think about it that is actually undesired feature (for people who use automatic coupling and uncoupling).  If the coupler is not parallel to the car then it will nto be possible to couple the cars even on straight tracks.  You'll have to fiddle with the coupler using a skewer to get it to couple. Not a good thing.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 06:51:15 AM »
+1
We started that a few years ago to try and help out assembly.  Tapping and threading takes a lot of effort, these help keep that cost down.

Joe

tapping and threading takes a lot of work for the modeler, too. If I could just pop a 00-90 plastic pin through the box into a 00-90 hole I drilled in the car frame I'd find that preferable to diddling around with tweezers and jewelers' screwdriver to get the screw in. Any chance those pins might be in the coupler kits someday, w or w/o the screws? As for coupler box swing I thought that cure was provided years ago with a dab of Goo at the end of the inboard end of box?

This was my first undec MTL heavyweight so I never examined the pins b4.