Author Topic: Automatic stopping section for staging  (Read 2266 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Re: Automatic stopping section for staging
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 09:22:12 PM »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 10:03:13 PM »
Here is how to do it ..

http://www.rr-cirkits.com/Clinics/GR-2012-Stopping.pdf

Thanks for the link, but as I said earlier, I'm not going JMRI, and want a simple solution to what seems a simple problem. All it needs to do is stop a slow moving train inside a hidden yard at a predetermined spot. Period.
I did find a number of Normally Closed reed switches on line, and SPDT's which can be wired either NO or NC. That would seem like a way to go as the NO lead is hot when activated, perhaps to be used to light up an occupancy LED on the panel? I don't know about the power requirements, or the magnetic field required to trigger it reliably. Maybe I need to buy some and experiment...
Otto K.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
... If yes, then the decoders have to be capable of doing that. Most European decoders can do that but I don't think the US-made decoders have that functionality. 

I think most do actually.  Digitrax and TCS, for example, are supposed to decelerate at the set rate if they encounter DC and analog conversion mode is off. 

Also the distance traveled when the automatic braking is engaged is most likely no absolute, so the locos could overshoot or stop short of the stopping point.

I think that's mostly a matter of decoder programming the deceleration rate. 

Caveat: I'm not speaking from the experience of implementing this. 

It is to me ...

For starters, the presentation seems to assume the presence of a JMRI signalling system to determine whether the train should stop.   And Otto said he's looking for something that doesn't involve that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 11:14:17 PM »
I think most do actually.  Digitrax and TCS, for example, are supposed to decelerate at the set rate if they encounter DC and analog conversion mode is off. 

I think that's mostly a matter of decoder programming the deceleration rate. 

I think we are talking apples and oranges here.  What you are describing is when a decoder encounters pure DC with analog conversion off it will come to a stop. The presentation John pointed appears to be using asymmetric DCC Automatic Brake Control . That is a different type of functionality.  At least that is how I understand it.

EDIT:  I revisited the ABC page and Ben, I think you're right: The circuit John pointed to is more like simulated DC rather than ABS (which uses a different diode arrangement to generate the ABS signal).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:46:22 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .