Author Topic: The end of the Walthers N scale referance book?  (Read 5149 times)

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
Re: The end of the Walthers N scale referance book?
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »

The main reason for owning a Walthers catalog is the scenery, structures and detail items that don't seem to vary much through the year. Most of these items are shared between the scales anyhow so why bother with two different catalogs. I have found many items looking through the catalog that I would have never found using a web search, simply because I wasn't looking for them at the time. Scrolling through the pages leads to discoveries of items that you didn't know existed.

Tony, I agree 100%, as you've stated, I have found several things in the Walthers catalog by accident. Something I did find amusing, the Walthers catalog at my local hobby shop was $17.98, same price as listed on the Walthers web site. Now if I would have purchased the catalog on the Walthers web site, they would have charged me an additional $11.95 for shipping. I guess shipping to my local hobby shop is free  :facepalm:   

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
Tony, I agree 100%, as you've stated, I have found several things in the Walthers catalog by accident. Something I did find amusing, the Walthers catalog at my local hobby shop was $17.98, same price as listed on the Walthers web site. Now if I would have purchased the catalog on the Walthers web site, they would have charged me an additional $11.95 for shipping. I guess shipping to my local hobby shop is free  :facepalm:

Ever since I remember, when I ordered most items from the Walthers catalog through my local hobby shop they gave me a discount (10% IIRC) and no shipping charges (since the hobby shop got regular shipments from Walthers). I believe that this is possible because hobby shop gets a healthy dealer discount on items ordered from Walthers (and if the hobby shop chooses to do,  they can pass some of that saving to their customers)
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »
It's probably a good idea.  It will control printing costs and make it economically feasible for Walthers to continue offering that catalog, at least for a few more years.

(queue the wistful music, perhaps an instrumental version of "Moon River" ...)

The Walthers catalog is a reminder of a kinder, gentler, more peaceful time.  It was a time when customers would collect at the local train shop (not "hobby" shop... the TRAIN shop), and trade stories.  If they needed anything, they'd ask the shop owner to "order me in one of those".  And the customer would pick it up next week when he came in for a visit.

Nobody was in a hurry.  Nobody was feeling pressured to save every penny on their train purchases.

(...the music abruptly ends as the needle is dragged out of the run-out groove by a gruff hand *1)

Yes, now the catalog is a dinosaur.  But I am not surprised that it is still being printed.   For many, it can still be a "dream book" just to see a broad spectrum of what is available and what is possible.  Sure, they leave many vendors out.  And yes, many of the products in the catalog aren't actually available when you try to order them.   But I still think it can be a valuable tool, especially for new model railroaders.

I loved that book for many years, and it did indeed fuel my imagination of what was "possible".  Even as the years went by and I found much better, more easily accessible sources of products elsewhere, I still can't say a harsh word against that book.
I think the last one I bought was in the late 1990s.

*1  "Needle" and "run-out" groove are elements of a now-defunct method of delivering recorded music known as the "phonograph record".   Readers may find one readily in the homes of current purchasers of the Walthers catalog.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »
From a marketing standpoint there is still a place for an ink-on-paper catalog. 

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »
From a marketing standpoint there is still a place for an ink-on-paper catalog.

Probably always will be, on some level. They found this out with eReaders and eBooks versus printed books.