Author Topic: Scale Trains containers have arrived  (Read 2939 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
Re: Scale Trains containers have arrived
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 06:07:53 PM »
Can I tag a few on your shipment?  $50CDN is minimum shipping...

Hmmm,,,, the CN CargoCool, H&R, TransX, QuickTraX, Armour, AxSun, and that CP thingy should put you well over $50 Scott. All necessary for someone modeling contemporary Canadian railroading.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 06:12:46 PM »
Shipping was $50 and some are preorder.  I have some coming via my connection :D

BTW, we saw a train on the Belleville Sub on Saturday, LOL

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 12:28:27 PM »
Shipping was $50 and some are preorder.  I have some coming via my connection :D

BTW, we saw a train on the Belleville Sub on Saturday, LOL

Rumour was they ran four in daylight Saturday. The EB Trenton Turn (T10) had 2222 and SOO 4429 (white) Sunday, and 4429 lead the return to Toronto Monday. Yeah, they run T10 out one day and back the next... must be due to congestion on the mainline  :facepalm:

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »
We just caught the end of it, domestic double stacks.  I'm sure I've seen a train at that crossing three times since moving here in 1998.  Via should buy it off of CP and upgrade it to high speed.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »
I just got my first 6 containers and they are really nice, they are like the Trainworx trailers in looks and quality. They fit nicely in the Kato Maxi IV, not as heavy as the Kato but good weight. Definably getting a few more cars worth.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
Mine arrived today.  The printing is top notch and I appreciate the decorated latching hardware.  Here's the scoop on compatibility and fit.

1) Easy fit in both Kato and Deluxe Maxi-IV wells.

2) They have pins on the bottom like Kato.  The pins are a little larger than Kato, but located in the same spots or about close enough.   They are almost but not quite 100% compatible here.
  • A Kato container of any size stacks on top of a ScaleTrains perfectly with the pins holding it in place. 
  • A ScaleTrains fits fine on top of Kato 40ft standard containers, the ones that come with Maxi Is, (although you can see the pins, which is a failing of the Kato design).  I haven't tried a Kato Hi-Cube 40 footer. 
  • A ScaleTrains container might stack on top of a Kato 53 footer.  I found there was actually a little variation in my Katos, such that some of them took the ScaleTrains with a bit of force to make a press fit, while others I didn't want to force.  If ScaleTrains had made their pins a little smaller they'd probably fit all Kato's fine.

3) If you want to fit ScaleTrains on top of other brands of containers you'll probably want to cut off the pins to not have an unsightly gap, and use magnets or tacky putty.  The gap due to the pins is a little larger and more unsightly than with Kato.  The bottoms come out easily if you want to add magnets or weights inside.  All of this, though, is par for the course with N-scale containers.  (Personally I wouldn't mind if none of them came with pins, since I have my magnet method, but I understand the positives.)   

4) Visually the size and scaling is spot on to other quality 1/160 containers.

Altogether a good and proper design.  No stupid stuff going on here.   :D

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 06:58:11 AM »
Thanks for the review.  This sounds very promising that we now have another source of containers and in some key deigns previously not available. 

I'm not a fan of the pins and use magnets as well.  I guess I might shave off the pins.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 11:00:30 PM »
Got mine Monday and took some pictures Wednesday getting stuff ready for the Naperville Il. Prototype Modelers meet.
Mix of Kato and Scale Trains:

Scale Trains on top of Kato, good fit!

I don't have a good closeup, but the only combo I had "trouble"with was Deluxe & Microtrains due to lack of pins, and the boxes being a hair off in length. They look sooooo good though!I picked up a gouple more of the refer units from Spring Creek hobbies at Naperville today