Author Topic: Westford Quarry  (Read 3506 times)

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
Re: Westford Quarry
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 12:08:07 AM »
Believe you me I was, my goal here wasn't to match the prototype so much as throw down some gray to get a feel for how my most finished carvings look, as well as try the oil streaking (put too much out of the tube working on an HO car) on a different surface than plastic. I have many photos I will post as I get to trying to get the colors right. Also I haven't done work with washes much recently and figured this was as good a test surface since I will likely be doing another coat of plaster on the painted area... It'd incredible how much variation there is on the rock within the area I am modeling.
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 12:59:21 AM »
I think the face above the 44 tonner looks pretty good!...The lighter coloring looks more "right" than the dark one...This is coming together nicely!

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
+1
Well long time no see... this layout has been partially dismantled and stored in my garage due to lack of space where it was to go. After some rearranging and bargaining with the spouse I may have found a way to make this layout happen. Instead of an island (which I thought was quite clever) it will become a shelf layout. I hope to keep the scenes fairly narrow but with vertical depth especially in the quarry. I'm playing around with the spacing I have and if I could work the interchange into the mill area, new track plan to be up soon. Unfortunately not much of the foam or orientation will be usable by slicing it. But can potentially make some areas feel a bit less compressed. One big concern is getting my or any 44 tonner to run reliably. Atleast they are are sort of cheap... but mine has been extremely temperamental and quite a nuisance to base an entire layout around. Mine sounds like a coffee grinder and stalls quite a bit despite the cleaning that keeps my atlas rapid kato and athearn N and HO stock running reliably. Yes I removed the dcc board awhile ago and it helped but it seems to have developed some issues. Need to tear it down soon but alas that may be my least favorite activity... will sort it before track is ready to test
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:03:50 AM by nuno81291 »
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 12:28:35 AM »
+1
My 44T's run great, but I did yank out the DCC board to get them to run better.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
+1
Well long time no see... this layout has been partially dismantled and stored in my garage due to lack of space where it was to go. After some rearranging and bargaining with the spouse I may have found a way to make this layout happen. Instead of an island (which I thought was quite clever) it will become a shelf layout. I hope to keep the scenes fairly narrow but with vertical depth especially in the quarry. I'm playing around with the spacing I have and if I could work the interchange into the mill area, new track plan to be up soon. Unfortunately not much of the foam or orientation will be usable by slicing it. But can potentially make some areas feel a bit less compressed. One big concern is getting my or any 44 tonner to run reliably. Atleast they are are sort of cheap... but mine has been extremely temperamental and quite a nuisance to base an entire layout around. Mine sounds like a coffee grinder and stalls quite a bit despite the cleaning that keeps my atlas rapid kato and athearn N and HO stock running reliably. Yes I removed the dcc board awhile ago and it helped but it seems to have developed some issues. Need to tear it down soon but alas that may be my least favorite activity... will sort it before track is ready to test

I don't know if you've been in there before, but it is possible to reinstall the trucks the wrong way around. They'll sorta work that way, but not as well as they should. There are also issues with the contacts bending out of the way of the chassis and no longer contacting, that might be something to look at wrt running quality.