Author Topic: IHC Passenger car wheels/couplers  (Read 1526 times)

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
IHC Passenger car wheels/couplers
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »
I have a set of IHC Heavyweight passenger cars that came from a deceased estate, I was supposed to sell them, but after trying them on the club layout, they wobble, derail, uncouple, the detail is not bad, I didn't wish to sell them and burden some unsuspecting modeller, so have decided to keep them for a repaint project and would like to know of any recommendations for wheels and couplers (Kadee have direct replacements I believe).

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.

lajmdlr

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: IHC Passenger car wheels/couplers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
Go to the Kadee website http://www.kadee.com/conv/convpl.htm to see which kind of coupler they recommend. Go with the ones that have "whiskers" vs the old kind. They drop right in & no figgiting w/ that old spring. Also get the coupler height gauge to make sure they all line up vertically. For wheel sets get ones w/ steel axles like Reboxx or Intermountain. Too much chance of bending plastic axles installing them.  Maybe the cars you have have them so they wobble. Kadees have plastic axles plus the black coating comes off on the rail heads.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ Modeler

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
One person's experience (not mine):

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/204295.aspx

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
 ;)
  the link has good info.
  if You use screws,use Flat Head Screws after slightly Camfering the truck mounting holes.
  they shouldn't hit axles and give a better balance to the trucks.
   shouldn't be too hard a job after several are done to get experience with the modifacations.
       Spikre
          ;)

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:09:25 AM »
I have a friend that had a fleet of the IHC cars.  He ended up replacing all the trucks with Kadee ones IIRC, adding metal wheels (which he did on all his rolling stock), and adding weight.  He still had some issues with them wobbling, but they ran much better. 
~ Matt

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:41:33 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice and assistance, really helpful, I have read right through the links and taken all ideas into consideration, as the club layout has a minimum 36" radius, body mount will be the way to go, I am primarily an N Scaler, but this is a set for club running.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.