Author Topic: True scale coupler David K Smith?  (Read 3207 times)

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
True scale coupler David K Smith?
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »
I just saw a new released item from Micro trains that I found interesting.  It is called the True Scale coupler.  I remember a few years back our friend David K Smith was working on more scale appearing coupler.  I was very interested in what he described and it was my understanding that he had submitted the designs for patent.   I don't recall what ever happend and I am now wondering if this new release from Micro Trains is the David K.Smith's coupler design perhaps through an agreement or acquisition?  Nonetheless it is very interesting.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: True scale coupler David K Smith?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »
Totally unrelated items.  The New Micro Trains scale coupler is a truly-scaled knuckle coupler which has to be manually uncoupled. It is incompatible with any other N scale couplers. If you look in the Product Discussion section of this forum there is a lengthy thread with more details about this coupler.

David's patent was for a fully automatic coupler which was compatible with the existing N scale (oversize) knuckle couplers.  It was just better-looking and did no exhibit the "slinky effect".  If you search the forum, there were sseveral threads about it in the past.  Search for ProtoMate.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:26:09 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

JoeW

• Crew
    • N Layout list
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »
Hi Pete.  I remember that the DKS coupler was very promising in description. I've was interested to know what happened.  I will go check the thread regarding the True Scale offering by MTL.  Thanks again Pal

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
Hi Pete.  I remember that the DKS coupler was very promising in description. I've was interested to know what happened.  I will go check the thread regarding the True Scale offering by MTL.  Thanks again Pal

The essence of it was that by the time DKS had the patent complete his health and issues building his house prevented production. I don't think he's licensed it to anyone, but I'm more then willing to be wrong.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +906
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »
I just saw a new released item from Micro trains that I found interesting.  It is called the True Scale coupler.  I remember a few years back our friend David K Smith was working on more scale appearing coupler.  I was very interested in what he described and it was my understanding that he had submitted the designs for patent.   I don't recall what ever happend and I am now wondering if this new release from Micro Trains is the David K.Smith's coupler design perhaps through an agreement or acquisition?  Nonetheless it is very interesting.

As I recall.. DKS's coupler was Protomate.. or something along those lines.
~Ian

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5506
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
+2

JoeW

• Crew
    • N Layout list
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
Thanks for the additional info on this gang. Oh and thanks Chriss333 for the link to the patent, some very good information there.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:20:08 PM »
I thought there was some testing of the couplers by a select few TRW members?  If so what was the impression of the coupler.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 11:52:17 PM »
I thought there was some testing of the couplers by a select few TRW members?  If so what was the impression of the coupler.

Check out the thread  that @peteski  referenced above.  You'll see their impressions.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 07:06:06 AM »
Check out the thread  that @peteski  referenced above.  You'll see their impressions.

I was refering to DKS coupler. not the MT coupler referenced in Pateski's link.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »
I was refering to DKS coupler. not the MT coupler referenced in Pateski's link.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone beta testing the ProtoMate coupler.  In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a physical coupler, so I'm not sure that DKS ever even had a working model.  Boy, do I regret that the Protomate never came to fruition.  Hopefully, MTL's new scale coupler will fit the bill.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »
I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone beta testing the ProtoMate coupler.  In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a physical coupler, so I'm not sure that DKS ever even had a working model.  Boy, do I regret that the Protomate never came to fruition.  Hopefully, MTL's new scale coupler will fit the bill.

DFF

Right of the bat those are totally different coupers. ProtoMate was much larger, compatible with other N scale knuckle couplers. It was also designed to be a fully-automatic magnetic coupler.  It however was closer to size and closer in appearance to the AAR coupler than any other N scale knuckle couplers. So, it is totally different than the MTL scale coupler.   We are talking apples and oranges here.   The only common things about ProtoMate and new MTL is that the lack of the metal centering spring (which equates to no slinky effect).

The Arnold coupler used on their newest models is probably the closest we can come to DKS' ProtoMate. But it has its own set of problems.
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1237
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »
Right of the bat those are totally different coupers. ProtoMate was much larger, compatible with other N scale knuckle couplers. It was also designed to be a fully-automatic magnetic coupler.  It however was closer to size and closer in appearance to the AAR coupler than any other N scale knuckle couplers. So, it is totally different than the MTL scale coupler.   We are talking apples and oranges here.   The only common things about ProtoMate and new MTL is that the lack of the metal centering spring (which equates to no slinky effect).

The Arnold coupler used on their newest models is probably the closest we can come to DKS' ProtoMate. But it has its own set of problems.

DKS's Protomate patent shows metal springs.  It does eliminate the slinky, however.  But the centering action is a metal coil spring.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
DKS's Protomate patent shows metal springs.  It does eliminate the slinky, however.  But the centering action is a metal coil spring.

Yeah, it is the fact that the metal coil spring is not a part of the coupler shank's suspension - it is only used for centering. Hard for me to explain without pictures. You're right of course.
. . . 42 . . .