Author Topic: Anyone have experience with TR Hobby Products vehicles?  (Read 2197 times)

PeyRil

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Re: Anyone have experience with TR Hobby Products vehicles?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Today I had a thought about what pmpexpress said about them selling repackaged items which brought me back to the conveyor/boom piece. I rememerd thinking that it looked familiar and similar to an excavator boom. Then It hit me! it was an excavator boom! So I went and pulled out an unassembled GHQ Komatsu excavator for comparison. Perfect match, well almost. This one is actually two booms cast side by side to make it wider and the yoke that holds the dipper stick removed.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 09:12:30 PM »
That is funny!

I guess "parts is parts".

they just throw in some random pieces in the package and someone will figure out some use for them.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

PeyRil

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
I figured if they modified and repurposed one part maybe others were too. It turns out the tracks are also modified from other parts from different kits too. It took a little thinking but I figured out they are made from the tracks from a GHQ 30B crawler crane. They were split logitudinally to make them thinnr an the middle section removed to make them shorter. The legs are actually the outriggers from aGHQ American LaFrance 1000 fire truck. Each piece soldered together and recast as one. The grinding drum seems to be a hose reel of some sort with ladders soldered to the sides, but idk where it came from yet. The body also seems as if it is composed of four seperate quarters of something too. for comparison i had an assembled GHQ crane and what turned ot to be a repacked/modified kit from TR of the GHQ kit. The TR kit came with a cast boom instead of etched brass and no hand rail fret. All which falls in line with them probably utilizing damaged or partially complete stock and recasting pieces to make thee own knockoff kits.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 09:37:09 PM »
Nice detective work PeyRil!
. . . 42 . . .

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 02:00:12 AM »
Interesting. About a year ago he had some backhoes for sale. They were clearly GHQ models but poorly cast. I am sure the guys at GHQ wouldn't sell factory seconds. These have to be recast from kits they bought.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 03:58:20 AM »
Anyone else find it interesting he has a lot of painted Burt Industries stuff in that store?   :facepalm:

The owner of TR Hobby Products is a friend of Eugene "Gene" Burtnett, who formerly operated under the name Burt Industries; while he was still located in Altamonte Springs, Florida.

Now located in Westiminster, South Carolina, Gene operates under the trade name Paulas Hobbies.

Along with a whole bunch of additional Z. N, and HO scale items, some of the old Burt Industries products can be found in the Paulas Hobbies store at http://stores.ebay.com/paulashobbies/ .

Engaged in resin casting for many years, Gene might have assisted TR Hobby with creating and/or recreating replacement and/or new parts for any incomplete and/or repurposed pewter kit acquisitions.