Author Topic: Walther Cornerstone Prairie Co-Op Elevator Kit  (Read 4535 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Walther Cornerstone Prairie Co-Op Elevator Kit
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »
Shoot, the scale is just a piece of plastic and certainly doesn't need to be integral to the scene. 
I plan to get one of these and likely would either cut down the length of the scale or just re-purpose it altogether.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
I would think any sort of small town would still need to know the weight to sell or receive product.
/>

Yeah they do but look where the scale is in the video.  It's a small shed attached to the building that doubles for unloading the trucks. I'm just curious if such a small elevator would have an external scale like this which I associate with the more modern large semi trailer weighing.  Also how modern is that sampling crane?

Obviously you don't have to use both structures together, it's just seems like an odd pairing to me.

Jason

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Yeah they do but look where the scale is in the video.  It's a small shed attached to the building that doubles for unloading the trucks. I'm just curious if such a small elevator would have an external scale like this which I associate with the more modern large semi trailer weighing.  Also how modern is that sampling crane?

Obviously you don't have to use both structures together, it's just seems like an odd pairing to me.

Jason

I agree with you completely, any smaller "line" elevator I've seen has had the truck scale within the unloading house (and another hopper scale towards the back of the elevator) I've photographed dozens of Wooden line elevators (of which this would be equivalent) in Canada/North Dakota and have never seen an external scale on anything smaller then a large terminal elevator...

The wooden Walther's elevators have the same style of external scale and it has always seemed out of place to me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:25:33 PM by Missaberoad »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »
I think a lot depends on the climate as to where the scale is located.  I have been hauling grain to elevators, feedlots, chicken farms, etc. in southwest Idaho for more than 40 years, and I have never encountered a covered scale.  Many of the scale houses where I have hauled to include offices, break rooms, rest rooms and meeting rooms.  So to me, the scale house looks very appropriate in size.   :)

However, I would move the scale house (and the scale) further from the unloading area so the empty trucks can drive onto the scale without getting in the way of the trucks waiting to be unloaded.  The way Walthers is showing it could create a real bottleneck.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 02:04:04 AM »
The elevator in Wall, SD, that I posted a picture of here https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=39995.msg491638#msg491638 has a nice big scale building, so it may have something to do with weather.  SD has some nasty weather, summer and winter, and they probably like having the scale enclosed.

It's also sandwiched between the old elevator and the new bins, making it hard to see...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:06:25 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well