Author Topic: TCS CN?  (Read 2878 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4625
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: TCS CN?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 01:04:36 AM »
OK. Let me try resetting CV8 to 8, right? Or than try 3?
 Joe

PS, lights and direction are reversed in DC also.

Um, according to the link posted earlier in the thread in  this message "Factory reset can be done on the main track or on the programming track. To reset CV's to there factory setting write a value of 2 into CV8".  I highly recommend doing it on the programming track (programming track mode on Power Cab)..

It sounds more and more to me like you will need to swap the motor leads around.
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 01:28:59 AM »
Pete, sorry for missing that info before. This is all still so daunting to me.
 OK, CV8 set to 2, using prog trk mode. Guess I'll have to swap leads. Can I set address to 8101 now, safely?
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 02:46:53 AM »
Pete, sorry for missing that info before. This is all still so daunting to me.
 OK, CV8 set to 2, using prog trk mode. Guess I'll have to swap leads. Can I set address to 8101 now, safely?
 Joe D

Sure, setting the address CVs is not harmful at anytime (as far as blowing up the decoder or command station is concerned).  In the worst case you (if you forget the address you used) you can always read back the address (long and short) in the programming track mode. :)   But just to make sure, first try running the model on short address 3 (you didn't mention whether you tried and how the model behaved).
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
Loco runs nice and smooth, with short address 3. Of course, except for lights on opposite of direction.
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
Loco runs nice and smooth, with short address 3. Of course, except for lights on opposite of direction.
 Joe D

Ok then - swap the motor leads around and you're good to go.  :D

I'm assuming here that the loco headlights light up in the correct direction. So when your throttle shows "forward" direction the headlight on the correct end of the loco is on (for example if the railroad you're modeling had the long hood forward then the long hood end headlight is on).

If not, the the decoder boards are installed wrong and should be swapped, front-to-back. In this case  the motor leads are wired correctly (since the motor runs in the correct dimension).  I hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:50:03 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3127
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »
Instead of swapping motor leads around, I thought there was the ability to change the direction of head lights using CV's ? 

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »
Instead of swapping motor leads around, I thought there was the ability to change the direction of head lights using CV's ?

Yes, I think you have to remap CV49 and CV50. My memory is a little foggy, but I think you have to enter a value of 16 in CV49 and a value of 0 in CV50. Now if the locomotive runs in reverse when forward is selected, this should turn the rear headlight on, but you'll also have to program CV29 to 23. Personally I'd just swap the orange and gray wires instead of having to change a bunch of configuration variables.

Push comes to shove, just swap the orange and gray wires right on the board.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

On my CN decoder the two pads are beside each other.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:46:45 PM by Rich_S »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
That is a common misconception. The direction but in CV29 reverses the headlights and the motor.  It is for when a properly installed decoder (motor and headlights) forward direction does not agree with the model.

For example if a plug-and-play decoder which can only be installed one way in a loco (and has pre-wired headlight and motor connections) is designed to run the loco forward with the short hood while the railroad which used that locomotive ran them with the long hood forward then you flip the direction bit in CV 29. That way the setting on your throttle agrees with the actual movement of the loco.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
Yes, I think you have to remap CV49 and CV50. My memory is a little foggy, but I think you have to enter a value of 16 in CV49 and a value of 0 in CV50. Now if the locomotive runs in reverse when forward is selected, this should turn the rear headlight on, but you'll also have to program CV29 to 23. Personally I'd just swap the orange and gray wires instead of having to change a bunch of configuration variables.

Exactly. And few years from now if you need to reset the decoder again (and you long forgot what you did), you'll end up right where you started.  Swapping 2 wires makes so much more sense.

Or switch the decoder boards around.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:48:01 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »
Exactly. And few years from now if you need to reset the decoder again (and you long forgot what you did), you'll end up right where you started.  Swapping 2 wires makes so much more sense.

Pete, I agree. We crossed posted, after I hit the post button I remembered I had a photo of one of my TCS CN installs. The orange and gray wire pad on the decoder are beside each other. If you don't feel like taking the entire engine apart, just swap these two wires and you're set.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
Hello. First, this decoder will only fit one way in frame. The 2 boards can not be swapped end to end. Now which end is front is confusing. See this link from TCS, http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Atlas/RS1/RS1%20install.html.   They show it reversed. On RS-1, fuel tank is closer to cab. I consider front long hood forward. I don't have any slack in motor leads to swap them, so I need to dis-assemble and install new leads on motor tabs.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 09:35:49 PM »
Hello. First, this decoder will only fit one way in frame. The 2 boards can not be swapped end to end. Now which end is front is confusing. See this link from TCS, http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Atlas/RS1/RS1%20install.html.   They show it reversed. On RS-1, fuel tank is closer to cab. I consider front long hood forward. I don't have any slack in motor leads to swap them, so I need to dis-assemble and install new leads on motor tabs.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

That figures!  :|
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 01:54:55 AM »
OK, let's say goodnight Gracie on this.
 Thanks a bunch.
 Joe D

Just swapped motor leads at decoder. All is good now :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:43:37 PM by Joetrain59 »

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
Headlight flashing now. WTF??
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 10:41:35 PM »
Often that indicates a speed-step mismatch between the command station/throttle and the decoder. Usually the decoder is set for 14 and command station/throttle for 28/128 speed steps (or vice-versa).
. . . 42 . . .