Author Topic: BLI Paragon 2 questions  (Read 1097 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
BLI Paragon 2 questions
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:00:36 AM »
Now that I'm no longer purchasing trains for the time being, I have started working on some long neglected projects. This includes a Cape Cod F10, a Conrail SD60I, and the Conrail OCS E8s.

To that end, I have a small stack of former NYC E8 shells that BLI was kind enough to give me. The shells are stripped, portholes filed and roof modifications have started. I only have one chassis right now and may get a second one when they go on sale below $100 again.

Conrail REALLY modified the hell out of these engines. Two of the three were equipped with HEP generators and extended dynamic brakes that required additional fans, and full light packages front and rear.

I would like to add front class lights, ditch lights, and rear backup light. Does the BLI sound equipped board have soldering pads for additional functions?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: BLI Paragon 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
On the Paragon 2's that I removed from my PA-1's, there were no solder pads at all - everything was connected to the decoder via two multipin headers and plugs.  Some of those pins were unused and it may well be that there is additional function capacity on the board, but I couldn't tell you how to find out if there is.

My advice: ditch the Paragon and buy an ESU LokSound select micro.  It has 4 function outputs and should be able to accommodate the changes you want to make (unless you want to do alternating ditch lights along with separate class lights; in this case, you would need five function outputs, and the Micro has only 4).  If you need more than 4 function outputs, you might take a look at the Zimo MX648 (20x11x4mm) which has six function outputs, but I'm not sure there is an appropriate sound file for your application (you can look at the list of Zimo sound files here: http://www.zimo.at/web2010/sound/tableindex_EN.htm ).  I don't think Zimo's sound files for US prototype diesels are as good as ESU's, but they are decent (I've tried the EMD 567 file, and it's pretty good, just not as good as ESU).  There is no other "micro"-sized sound decoder I'm aware of with six function outputs; if you have room to do so, you could go to an "HO" size decoder like the ESU Select (30 x 15mm).

John C.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
Now that I'm no longer purchasing trains for the time being, I have started working on some long neglected projects. This includes a Cape Cod F10, a Conrail SD60I, and the Conrail OCS E8s.

To that end, I have a small stack of former NYC E8 shells that BLI was kind enough to give me. The shells are stripped, portholes filed and roof modifications have started. I only have one chassis right now and may get a second one when they go on sale below $100 again.

Conrail REALLY modified the hell out of these engines. Two of the three were equipped with HEP generators and extended dynamic brakes that required additional fans, and full light packages front and rear.

I would like to add front class lights, ditch lights, and rear backup light. Does the BLI sound equipped board have soldering pads for additional functions?

And if your going to the point of HEP Generators and Dynamic Brakes - Do your shells have the correct pilots?

2 had Freight pilots, and 1 had passenger pilot..
Double check... But: 4020 Freight, 4021 Passenger, 4022 Freight
~Ian

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »
Oh, and if you're doing sound in em, got a plan for adding the HEP generator sound? Those mofos are loud!