Author Topic: Paint Colour Matching  (Read 1040 times)

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
Paint Colour Matching
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:08:49 PM »
+2
Hi
This may be a useful tool for many who do their own painting.  Most of us have little if any training in colour mixing, resulting in repaints (like I'm having to do on my latest project) and unsatisfactory colours.

Try this link and have some fun mixing colours to match what you want, fresh paint or faded paint, this tool will get you close to what you want.  I know we rely on photos to get an idea of what colour we want to end up with, and photos show many different shades, but with this tool we can at least get close.

http://trycolors.com/

What I do is open a photo of the prototype I'm making, then I open the "Color Mixing Tool".  I add colours from the palette till I get a close match, then use a Snipping tool to get a colour sample which I then paste over the prototype photo.  It usually takes several attempts till I get the colour I want.  By looking at the amout of each colour I have used to get the final result, I can translate that to volumes of paint to mix for airbrushing.

The attached photo shows an early attempt in this process.  It shows which colour is the base colour, in this case red, and the additional colours used to get the colour on the palette.  To complicate this a little, I started with orange, so I had to get the correct shade of orange on the palette first, then tint it to get the final colour.  Still a bit off, but getting there.

It's fun to play with and doesn't take long to work out what you need to do.   I don't seem to be able to insert links and images here like I used to, not sure what I've done wrong.

Have fun
Steve
NZ
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:16:19 PM by mandealco »

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
Re: Paint Colour Matching
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »
+1
Using the above method, I had another go at painting the orange on WNYP 637.  Looks much better, though looks very light in the photo which was taken in sunlight.  The other orange is closer to the faded orange on the next unit I'm painting, SIXX 77, a C-636.
Cheers
Steve
NZ
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:55:03 PM by mandealco »

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
Re: Paint Colour Matching
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 11:03:27 PM »
+1
Very nice! thanks for the link, I saved it for future reference...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface: