Author Topic: More NEW TOOLING from Bluford Shops!  (Read 6687 times)

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
Re: More NEW TOOLING from Bluford Shops!
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:57 AM »
My new Bluford hoppers arrived today: very nice!
A Mopac panel hopper (Arkansas coal for Kaiser Steel) a Pere Marquette  USRA original (Illinois coal for LA harbor) and a D&H panel hopper (just too pretty to pass up) :D
The shell castings and paint jobs/lettering are exquisite; the wheels seem a bit fatter than previous releases? Are these the FVM wides? See pics below.
I couldn't get the "pretty hopper" to stay on the rails until I discovered it had an innovative wheelset with a flange on the outside :? Wth?
Otherwise very satisfied with purchase...more variety in my sizeable fleet.
Otto K.

A friend got a BLMA car with the same outside flange feature...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »
Just posted to our website: http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_035.htm
For the first time in N scale we will be producing 2-Bay Rebuilt War Emergency Hoppers. See the link above for artwork from the first group of road names and picture of the pre-production sample.

Ok, was looking at the cover of the Apr/May/Jun 2012 TRP and saw Clinchfield 48151 at the end of a coal drag in 1958 with a Y6a pushing behind the caboose.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0708/5387/products/TRP093.jpg?v=1442601591

How long did the Clinchfield cars stay in service? (I know that Bluford knows the answer!  :D)

Mark

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
Ok, was looking at the cover of the Apr/May/Jun 2012 TRP and saw Clinchfield 48151 at the end of a coal drag in 1958 with a Y6a pushing behind the caboose.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0708/5387/products/TRP093.jpg?v=1442601591

How long did the Clinchfield cars stay in service? (I know that Bluford knows the answer!  :D)

Mark
They were on the roster in 1969 and off by 1974. That's the best I can do.  By the way, the pre-orders on this group close on Friday, October 28. Here is the link again: http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_035.htm

Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 03:43:29 PM »
The sad thing (for me) is that I saw tons of CLINCHFIELD hoppers on the N&W when growing up in the 60s/70s - but didn't pay much attention to them (I was N&W centric lol).

Mark

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »
A friend got a BLMA car with the same outside flange feature...

Well, I tried to fix the wheelset and pulled off the offending wheel, but couldn't get it to go back on the right way, flange in. So I ended up replacing the wheelset with an FVM wheelset. No big deal I thought, but this is what I got, see pics below.
I wonder what the new Bluford wheels are, they are not only fatter (which may be okay for reliability's sake) but their flanges are also deeper, axles thicker, and the back contour is flat, again see pics. Are we going backwards, or am I just expecting too much? I do love the tooling and finish, and I guess replacing the wheels is not a big deal. It's just that I'm used to spending money on replacing crappy wheels, not ones that are "pretty good" and presumably cost good money to include with the model. Just my thoughts....
Otto K.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:28:43 PM by Cajonpassfan »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »
+1
I agree that compared the the wheels you replaced them with they don't look as good. But are the Bluford wheel treads really any wider, or flanges deeper than most of the metal wheels offered by N scale manufacturers (like Atlas, Rapido, Arnold, Intermountain, BLI, or Bachmann)?

Also, are you sure that the replacement wheels are FVM?  All the FVM wheels I have ever worked with had smooth backs.  The only wheels I have seen with a machined back profile were from BLMA.
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
Pete is right the replacement wheel is a BLMA wheel. (On a side note the new "high detail" IMRC wheels look like they will have a dished back)
The original wheels are likely the FVM wide tread wheels...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 08:43:35 PM »
Plus FVM makes a few different wheels.

Edit for Pete:

Plus FVM makes a couple different wheels.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:23:33 AM by Chris333 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Plus FVM makes a few different wheels.

I know of only 2 types: Semi-Scale Fine Tread and Wide Tread.
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »
Guys, you're right, I grabbed a wheel out the my replacement pile that happened to be BLMA, not Fox. Dang but they look good!

I'm getting .066 wide on the Bluford wheels, same as the wheels on the FVM Milwaukee ribbed boxcars. The diameter and flange are the same as well...must be FVM's wides...

I guess I've gotten spoiled... :P
Never had it so good...
Otto K.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 01:10:08 AM »
Guys, you're right, I grabbed a wheel out the my replacement pile that happened to be BLMA, not Fox. Dang but they look good!

I'm getting .066 wide on the Bluford wheels, same as the wheels on the FVM Milwaukee ribbed boxcars. The diameter and flange are the same as well...must be FVM's wides...

I guess I've gotten spoiled... :P
Never had it so good...
Otto K.

Yes they are FVM's wide tread wheels, the narrow tread wheels are even thinner then the BLMA wheels (by a couple thou) but lack the dished profile (If that matters to you once they're on the track.)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
Allow me to confirm, yes they are factory equipped with FVM wide tread wheels. I agree the semi-scale wheels do look better but as FVM points out, not everyone's trackwork will tolerate them so went with the best compromise of looks and operation.

Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:13 PM »
Allow me to confirm, yes they are factory equipped with FVM wide tread wheels. I agree the semi-scale wheels do look better but as FVM points out, not everyone's trackwork will tolerate them so went with the best compromise of looks and operation.

Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

Good job Craig and gang  -- You have to make the cars the so that they sell, not just what meets your standards.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »

Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

Thanks Craig, I understand and respect that decision, and the cars themselves are excellent.
I also very much appreciate manufacturers such as yourself that participate here. I'm sure you must roll your eyes and bite your tongue often :D

Okay, now that I'm done complimenting you, how about some of these?

Too obscure?
Otto K.