Author Topic: Preview of upcoming MTL True-Scale Coupler system  (Read 87016 times)

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Preview of upcoming MTL True-Scale Coupler system
« Reply #510 on: April 19, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »
+7
@ednadolski, here ya go:

Here's that train wrapped around my Caliente.  There are 24 cars total hauled by four units - two Kato SD70ACes and two FVM ES44C4s.  Car breakdown is ten Atlas and 14 Athearn Auto Max.  The last AutoMax is equipped with a Firefly FRED.

Smallest radius is about 22", max grade around 2% out of staging - when the locos are rounding that tight curve they have the train on the 2%.  If there's gonna be a problem, that's where it will be...the Caliente curve is a bit broader, probably 26", and is on maybe 1/2%.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #511 on: April 21, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »
+10
Good stuff here and I have been lurking on this thread.  We have some new stuff in the works and are looking at getting more swing on the couplers.   This project is evolving and thanks to sales I have some latitude to do some interesting options I think you all will like.  As I get closer to cutting steel I'll post what I can.

Thanks again for all the great work here.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »
@Shipsure  thank you, that sounds great!   I will have ~ 350 cars and 30 engines to equip, so I am looking forward to seeing what comes next ;)

Ed

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #513 on: April 21, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
I was going to get back on my coupler pockets this week, but it looks like I should wait.  :(  I had a chance to talk with Eric about the couplers and the last Rocky Mountain train show.  Will be interesting to see if anything form that conversation gets implemented.

Jason

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #514 on: April 21, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »
I was going to get back on my coupler pockets this week, but it looks like I should wait.  :(  I had a chance to talk with Eric about the couplers and the last Rocky Mountain train show.  Will be interesting to see if anything form that conversation gets implemented.

Eric said to ignore anything you said.    :D :D :D :D

Jason
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #515 on: April 21, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
@Shipsure

If you've yet to cut a production mold, clearly now is the time to reconsider @Missaberoad early request for side cavities... like these Goemon guys somehow figured out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-REALISTIC-N-Scale-Coupler-GOEMON-Realistic-Coupler-/201895672765?hash=item2f01eb7bbd:g:WxMAAOSwnHZYepLr

Of course, personally, I still do the magnetic uncoupling, soo.....

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #516 on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
Eric said to ignore anything you said.    :D :D :D :D

There's always that too.   :)

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #517 on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
@Shipsure

If you've yet to cut a production mold, clearly now is the time to reconsider @Missaberoad early request for side cavities... like these Goemon guys somehow figured out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-REALISTIC-N-Scale-Coupler-GOEMON-Realistic-Coupler-/201895672765?hash=item2f01eb7bbd:g:WxMAAOSwnHZYepLr

The molding quality and crispness of details of those couples is absolutely amazing.  It is as good (or dare I say, better) than the original MTL couplers. I never thought that I would ever say that about any MTL clone, but those GOEMON couplers are stunningly well made.  Joe, I recommend that you get one of them and examine it under strong magnification.  It is amazing!

I bought 10 pairs and will eventually do one of my "under the microscope" reviews. I just have to get some 1025 springs and coupler boxes to assemble them.

If GOEMON couplers were made in Z scale size that would be a game changer - it would be a functional and realistic-looking coupler which would most likely mate with other N scale size couplers.
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #518 on: April 21, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
Good stuff here and I have been lurking on this thread.  We have some new stuff in the works and are looking at getting more swing on the couplers.   This project is evolving and thanks to sales I have some latitude to do some interesting options I think you all will like.  As I get closer to cutting steel I'll post what I can.

Thanks again for all the great work here.

Joe

Thanks for chiming in to say you're listening, and for taking this project further. I look forward to see what develops.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »

If GOEMON couplers were made in Z scale size that would be a game changer

Not with the slinky effect still in play.

Jason

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #520 on: April 21, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »
+1
@Shipsure
If you've yet to cut a production mold, clearly now is the time to reconsider @Missaberoad early request for side cavities...

Please x 100  :D I would replace all the couplers I've already bought and be willing to pay extra due to the cost of extra tooling!

and I'm sure I'm not the only one..
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »
Please x 100  :D I would replace all the couplers I've already bought and be willing to pay extra due to the cost of extra tooling!

and I'm sure I'm not the only one..

What he said.
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2017, 07:52:57 PM »
Yeah, what they both said.  I'd convert everything in a New York Minute if the correct parts were available.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2017, 08:45:55 PM »
Yup. What all three of 'em said...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:20:30 AM by robert3985 »

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
+1
If GOEMON couplers were made in Z scale size that would be a game changer - it would be a functional and realistic-looking coupler which would most likely mate with other N scale size couplers.

Peter, as has already been said, slinky effect would keep me from converting, no matter how lovely the coupler looked. 

Also, I am sure that compatibility is not one of the goals that MTL has with their True Scale line.  In fact, for the new couplers to be a true game-changer, it is required that they NOT be compatible, but at least as easily coupled as their present N-gauge/Z-gauge couplers are, as well as looking as close to prototype as is economically feasible.  Centering for me isn't necessary either, and the slinky effect problem is already solved.

Also, the price is right too.

The prime example of this business plan is the introduction of the Kadee N-scale couplers, which had ZERO compatibility with the predominant Rapido N-gauge couplers.  Introduction of MTL TSC's is based on the assumption that modelers who use them are exponentially more interested in how they look and function in use with each other than compatibility with other, lesser, grossly oversize N-gauge knuckle couplers.

As the MTL TSC's are now, they need a bit more work, mostly because of their grossly out-of-scale coupler pocket, but after modifying the two coupler halves as per Jason's @wcfn100 instructions, and installing them in his excellent Shapeways coupler pocket, I am installing them in as many cars & engines that the pocket works with...but it is slooooow going!

If, during re-tooling the upgraded MTL TSC's look a bit more realistic, couple together easier and have a few styles of near-prototypical looking and sized pockets...these will change the game drastically.

I'll keep my fingers crossed....

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:20:55 AM by robert3985 »