Author Topic: Preview of upcoming MTL True-Scale Coupler system  (Read 86895 times)

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Preview of upcoming MTL True-Scale Coupler system
« Reply #466 on: December 15, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »
Been playing around with the TSC, very pleased with the results replacing the body mounted couplers on my trinity 5161 grain train.

Got to thinking about how nice it would be to be able to replace with these on my BLMA cars - but I'm not gonna deface those cars. 

I think it could be done (I monkeyed around with a TSC box and got it to fit on a reefer, kind of.  But it was too deep and the coupler kept flopping around vertically.

Be nice if some talented Shapeways designer would come up with something that would work - I've got a lot of BLMA cars....

This is something M-T could easily do - make a TSC that would fit a standard M-T box.  The innards would need to be larger, but they could narrow at the shank easily enough.

Lots of thinking out loud here.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #467 on: December 15, 2016, 11:08:38 AM »
While @Shipsure went to great pains to tell us these were not intended for heavy duty switching, has anyone tried these in a switching layout environment?  Any experiences to share?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #468 on: December 15, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
+1
I've done a bit of switching... nothing serious, just fooling around with them. Joe is right, they're probably not for doing a lot of it, and will frustrate the die-hard switching operator.

First, using a toothpick as an uncoupling tool, even the sharp round ones, is a challenge. The TSC couples tight, with very little room to get the point between for releasing. I haven't dug-out my dental picks yet, but a truly sharp point is needed.

Then there's coupling force. I haven't done the mod on the spring whiskers to reduce the force, mostly because doing this for every car in the fleet is going to be one of those endless workbench projects that will haunt me forever and never get done. Anyway, coupling to one or two cars without The Hand from Heaven can't be done. Unless I bash into them at 40-50smph... usually followed by The Hand picking up the car, loco and everything else that's left the rails. :facepalm:

Then there's lateral swing. A switching layout is not likely to have curve transitions. My one functioning switching scenario is a straight directly into an 18" curve. Yes, 18". A C-C loco (60' or so) will lift a 40-foot car off the rails, every time.

[sigh]

I don't mean to sound so negative, but there is no ignoring the truths with operation. I really like these couplers - how they look, their no-hassle assembly, the prototypical close coupling, the easy fit in Atlas and later Kato power. Not having to deal with that infernal spring is a godsend. But as to operation, we'll have to wait for MTL's R&D to discover a way to soften the spring force and increase lateral travel before it meets the operator's needs halfway.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #469 on: December 15, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »
we'll have to wait for MTL's R&D to discover a way to soften the spring force and increase lateral travel before it meets the operator's needs halfway.

I've addressed both issues with my coupler pockets, but I've lost centering (for now, I have an idea).  When you get the ore car adaptors and the modified couplers, I'll be very curious about your results.  They went to the printer yesterday! But I don't think they'll be here to send out before Christmas.

Jason

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #470 on: December 15, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
While @Shipsure went to great pains to tell us these were not intended for heavy duty switching, has anyone tried these in a switching layout environment?  Any experiences to share?
put a finger on the roof and couple in a straight line

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #471 on: December 15, 2016, 04:58:42 PM »
+1
Been playing around with the TSC, very pleased with the results replacing the body mounted couplers on my trinity 5161 grain train.

Got to thinking about how nice it would be to be able to replace with these on my BLMA cars - but I'm not gonna deface those cars. 

I think it could be done (I monkeyed around with a TSC box and got it to fit on a reefer, kind of.  But it was too deep and the coupler kept flopping around vertically.

Be nice if some talented Shapeways designer would come up with something that would work - I've got a lot of BLMA cars....

This is something M-T could easily do - make a TSC that would fit a standard M-T box.  The innards would need to be larger, but they could narrow at the shank easily enough.

Lots of thinking out loud here.
lol, i said the same thing during the beta test to Joe

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #472 on: December 21, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
Here is a side by side of the Arnold and True Scale couplers.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
+1
I put the TSC on my SOO IMRC F7's to see if I could close the coupling distance from the 1015's.

It improved it by 1.5 scale feet. Is it worth it,, In my minds eye,, yup sure is. I plan on putting 905's on the pilots on the a units, and leave the TSC on the b units.

Before

After

Well there ya have it.

Cya,
Y-it

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2016, 11:03:39 AM »
+1
I put the TSC on my SOO IMRC F7's to see if I could close the coupling distance from the 1015's.

It improved it by 1.5 scale feet. Is it worth it,, In my minds eye,, yup sure is. I plan on putting 905's on the pilots on the a units, and leave the TSC on the b units.

(images and text removed)

Yes that looks better, but if you are going to go to the trouble of doing close coupling mods, why not make it the correct 3 feet?  Perhaps some of us see overall proportion first (the top-down aesthetic perspective), and others see detail first (the bottom-up aesthetic perspective)?  Detail is the only advantage of the True-Scale alternative, IMHO. 

Mark H. 

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3124
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #475 on: December 22, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »
Yes that looks better, but if you are going to go to the trouble of doing close coupling mods, why not make it the correct 3 feet?  Perhaps some of us see overall proportion first (the top-down aesthetic perspective), and others see detail first (the bottom-up aesthetic perspective)?  Detail is the only advantage of the True-Scale alternative, IMHO. 

Mark H.

Is that racoon proportional?   :trollface: :trollface: :D :D

soo

• Crew
« Reply #476 on: December 22, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »
Well Mark you got me...by 18 inches. I did my installs with no modifications. Just going with what was there.

So you win..yay for you.

Y-it

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #477 on: December 22, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
Well Mark you got me...by 18 inches. I did my installs with no modifications. Just going with what was there.

So you win..yay for you.

Y-it

Geez; I guess I shouldn't have posted so early in the morning (a criticism of me, not of you).  Wasn't supposed to be a slam on your improvements, but just a serious question.  That difference in perspective also was evident (different posters) in the PS-1 modification thread in the "N and Z Scales" forum. 

MH
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:00:42 PM by mark.hinds »

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
Geez; I guess I shouldn't have posted so early in the morning (a criticism of me, not of you).  Wasn't supposed to be a slam on your improvements, but just a serious question.  That difference in perspective also was evident (different posters) in the PS-1 modification thread in the "N and Z Scales" forum. 

MH

Agreed - it is a serious question for those of us that have already addressed the coupling distance on IMRC F's before TSC was an option (e.g. Unimates), but don't plan to convert everything else over to TSC.

soo

• Crew
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2016, 10:36:29 PM »
+1
Ok..serious questions abound. I get that..certain people are pushing the envelope to make better models. I really get that.
So I will bow out of this conundrum. I am happy with what I accomplished.

Y-it