Author Topic: Preview of upcoming MTL True-Scale Coupler system  (Read 87015 times)

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
Re: Preview of upcoming MTL True-Scale Coupler system
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 10:31:52 PM »
I got to test them. They are real easy to assemble, have no slinky effect, and drop right into my Atlas/Kato GP35. They do not fit a BMLA PS2-CD without modifying the chassis

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »
:o

Jason

That was pretty much my reaction.  I will definitely support the cause by buying some to experiment with.

My thoughts, some of which are seconding what's already been mentioned:

- An insert or something for compatibility with the cars that now come with partially built in 1015 boxes:  Altas, BLMA, Trainworx, and Wheels of Time, some Athearn.  This is pretty important as a next step, we don't want to be cutting up nice models that already came with good body mounting.

- I also support brown.

- A version that was more geared toward 1023/25 replacement would be a big plus for me, especially for some custom body mounts I've already done.  Hopefully that would be the same solution as for truck mounted couplers.  (Another insert?)

- The big problem for me is the club environment where I'd like to couple to other members cars.  No hope of getting the entire group to switch over.  What this probably means is that if I like them I'd only be converting certain cars like intermodal for unit trains.   Manifest freight would not get switch.

- If not compatible with N scale couplers, how do they do with Z scale couplers?

- I like the air hose.

- The Arnold coupler might have more detail, but is it actually available?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:41:51 PM by jagged ben »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »
Just a guess, but I think the size of the center post and coupler hole is why the original boxes won't work.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 11:16:19 PM »
+4
when tooling up a brand new and scale-size non-automatic coupler, why not make it look as close to the real coupler as possible (even if that involves a complex mold)?

@peteski, at risk of perhaps being too blunt myself, I have to say that I think you already know the answer as well as anyone:  because producing models and parts does not come for free, and thus there will always be pragmatic limitations and trade-offs.  Remember the Brian Banna coupler (https://youtu.be/iS1mYYj7Egg)?  That was a nearly perfect scaled-down, operational replica of an AAR prototype coupler, but very regrettably ended up being shelved because the design goals made it too costly to develop to completion.

In my view, the scale size and eliminating the spring & trip pin are in themselves a big leap forward, and I am really glad to see these advances are being realized.  Another point, what we have seen so far are macro images of brand-new parts, so they naturally tend to look a bit stark.  I'm willing to bet that after painting & weathering they will blend in quite nicely, and even without the uber-detailing they still will be a significant improvement over legacy parts.

Ed

(Side note - since these are smaller than the LEZs, I'd also bet that they could be used as-is for Z scale.)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 11:30:14 PM »
September 01, 2016, 11:30:14 PM - Hidden.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2016, 11:54:24 PM »
+5
At least Pete agrees this was posted in the correct sub-forum  :P

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »
+2
That is my point exactly: when tooling up a brand new and scale-size non-automatic coupler, why not make it look as close to the real coupler as possible (even if that involves a complex mold)?    If it looked a lot worse I don't think many people would buy it.   :)

As far as ease of coupling goes I wonder if making the whisker springs thinner would improve its coupling ability? But there might be physical limitations of what can be done.
it is a scale coupler that couples and uncouples. It looks better than anything on the market. It has no slinky effect and is easy to assemble. What else do you really want? You're not presenting yourself in the best light.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »
September 02, 2016, 12:10:12 AM - Hidden.
. . . 42 . . .

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2016, 12:14:39 AM »
+3
You didn't read that the added detail would be hard to get a clean part out of the mold? Good to know that you know more about injection molding than the guy who does it for a living.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 12:21:22 AM »
+4
To me, we are well into the 2nd decade of the 21st Century. There should be no reason to produce any new item which is not up to high standards (unless you are some model company well known for producing mediocre products)

But there is a perfectly good reason: MTL decided it would cost more than the market could bear.  You may not agree with that judgement, but you're not the one risking the capital.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 12:23:53 AM »
This is a huge step in the right direction...

A couple of thoughts..

If they cannot couple up with other brands, then I have to convert my whole fleet at once, and about a third of my fleet has factory body mounts, so I'm out, for now.....Dragging your heels coming up with a full range while seeing how well these sell will be self defeating....

Have you actually tried to add some better detail, or are you just saying its hard to do?...There is a big difference between the two..Never half a$$ anything, go whole a$$.....Those two little nubs on the side would look really great, and the similar but different Arnold coupler managed to fit them in(and they look great!), I'm sure if you guys try it you can do it....Just go for it!...Momentum is everything!...(I bet it's too late to modify now, however)

This does seem to fix problems like the slinky effect, closer coupling, and a more scale appearance.....The size of this box is still a problem, hopefully one which you address with soon to be forthcoming other options!...Go MicroTrains!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:26:08 PM by coosvalley »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 12:25:08 AM »
You didn't read that the added detail would be hard to get a clean part out of the mold? Good to know that you know more about injection molding than the guy who does it for a living.

I did see it, and that is why I posted a photo of the Arnold coupler proving that finer detailing is possible and is being done.  Yes, it would cost more to produce a complex mold, but it is possible and being done. I'm not expert on making molds, but I have seen many injection-molded models which have extremely small and finely molded parts. So it is possible.  You will probably counter that with a statement that cost would have been prohibitive. I get it.  I still feel that I should be able to voice my opinions.
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 12:29:07 AM »
+1
This new MTL coupler is closer to the shape of an AAR coupler then the Arnold coupler. I can fix the issues with the MTL couplers (pondering a drilling jig to create an approximation of the voids on the drawbar half and rounding the corners of the same half)

I can't fix the wrong shape on all of the other available couplers in N today.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 12:30:25 AM »
+3

Hey.. Stupid Idea...
I just realized that the coupler is held in place by a pin that is separate from the mounting hole...

So fitting the coupler into a 1015 box could mean an alternate 1015 box cover that has the scale coupler mounting pin and spring tabs included.
~Ian

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 12:33:23 AM »
This new MTL coupler is closer to the shape of an AAR coupler then the Arnold coupler. I can fix the issues with the MTL couplers (pondering a drilling jig to create an approximation of the voids on the drawbar half and rounding the corners of the same half)

I can't fix the wrong shape on all of the other available couplers in N today.

Imagine all the time you would save if they just added some detail to the mold! :P