Author Topic: Athearn announces tri-level autoracks in HO, start sending your letters.  (Read 3505 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +478
Wow, $55.00 for a freight car that would look pretty stupid with just the one in a train...yikes!
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1112
    • www.bbussey.net
Same flatcar as the bi-level, correct?  It's only a matter of time before these get announced in N.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +254
Same flatcar as the bi-level, correct?  It's only a matter of time before these get announced in N.

Time to start working on more screens :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:10:40 PM by learmoia »
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
One autorack in a train wasn't unheard of in the Northwest in the early 70s, although it also wasn't common.  If you have a mid-sized town, with a regional auto dealership, before unit trains became the rule, you could easily have a single rack as needed.

Today, I would agree with you.  I don't think I've seen one rack, in a general merchandise train, since the fully enclosed version took over.

I'd like to know the actual dates for these cars.  They all seem to show mid 60s NEW dates, even on the repainted cars, and for those with consolidated stencils, they all show "4-77".  I think Athearn only has one piece of stencil artwork for each style, and uses that one on every car it fits...  I know the NP car is appropriate for my era, but the others?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:25:14 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +187
The N&W car is good for post 1970 (yellow flat).

Mark5

• Crew
Wow, $55.00 for a freight car that would look pretty stupid with just the one in a train...yikes!

No argument here, but the HO bi-levels were $50 (vs the N versions which listed at $40).

Mark

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
One autorack in a train wasn't unheard of in the Northwest in the early 70s, although it also wasn't common.  If you have a mid-sized town, with a regional auto dealership, before unit trains became the rule, you could easily have a single rack as needed.

Potentially dumb question, but how would said dealership unload such a car?  I presume specialized ramps weren't the norm in even mid-size burgs, so would they just park it on the team track and wing it or were regional dealerships that advanced?
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1062
The ramps aren't that big a deal. We have an unload terminal not too far away and the ramps are rather spindly and clearly of a "portable" nature. I can easily surmise smaller cities having a facility. The only reason I can think of for centralized mass unloading is the '80s trend of corporate consolidation.

I just wish the SP cars didn't have the U-1 dot. That dates them after 1978, and by then we'd be talking about security panels. :|
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Mark5

• Crew
Here's a photo of rack unloading in Winston-Salem, NC circa 1969:

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1196.jpeg

Mark

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +478
Re: Athearn announces tri-level autoracks in HO, start sending your letters.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
Here's a photo of rack unloading in Winston-Salem, NC circa 1969:

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1196.jpeg

Mark

Right, more in the setting I would imagine being most likely.  Distribution facility with multiple cars and large ramps.
I think even in the late 60's, the Milwaukee Road and UP were partnered in a new facility like this in Kent, WA that then trucked cars to the dealerships in large and small communities throughout Western Washington.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +449
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »

Right, more in the setting I would imagine being most likely.  Distribution facility with multiple cars and large ramps.
I think even in the late 60's, the Milwaukee Road and UP were partnered in a new facility like this in Kent, WA that then trucked cars to the dealerships in large and small communities throughout Western Washington.

http://www.milwaukeeroadarchives.com/PostWar/1969%20Railway%20Age%20Kent%20Auto%20Facility.pdf

Milwaukee road had a number of large facilities like that, Kent was one, Council Bluffs & South Minneapolis were others.
I'm sure there were smaller facilities tho, what would be the furthest distance a truck would handle such traffic? Would trucks handle everything local between the Twin cities and the coast?

another possibly could be a specialized facility, even today Winnipeg has a ramp that accepts 2-3 cars, used primarily to unload luxury cars. (we also have a large facility on the other side of town however.)

If these cars made it to N I would have to push the boundaries of my era yet again...  :D
Ryan in Alberta

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »
N scale please!! :P 8) I got several of the bilevels these are really nice autoracks Athearn has produced. Adding ESM vandal panels to some of them also 8)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
In the CGW 1965 train lists, trains 41/43 would carry between 1 and 9 autoracks bound for Kansas City which presumably went on farther west.

The CGW did have a flat car equipped with a ramp in Des Moines which would allow you to unload an autorack at a regular unloading ramp.  I know RR's like the MILW, RDG, and CNW had similar cars.

It will interesting to see how they tool the tri-level as the the bi-level is a single piece which I don't think will be possible with this one.

Jason

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »
I'd like to find more images of the rack pictured in the railway Age post.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.