Author Topic: If I were a Single Window Coach  (Read 7000 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Re: If I were a Single Window Coach
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2016, 03:55:57 AM »
I Don't think you can include the RRs with four-wheel-trucked coaches as prototypical road names to be used on a 6-axle NYC version of this model. Not w/o an asterisk, as MTL doesn't make 4-wheel passenger trucks of this type, and to use them on the car would involve reworking the floor to move the truck posts. Quite possibly this can be done w/o damaging the factory paint job but it makes the car a remodel job.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2016, 04:15:51 AM »
+1
I assume these trucks are available:
http://rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/erie-co2278abd.jpg
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/erie2280.jpg

Hey wait they are under my baggage cars!  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:17:42 AM by Chris333 »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »
+3
I Don't think you can include the RRs with four-wheel-trucked coaches as prototypical road names to be used on a 6-axle NYC version of this model. Not w/o an asterisk, as MTL doesn't make 4-wheel passenger trucks of this type, and to use them on the car would involve reworking the floor to move the truck posts. Quite possibly this can be done w/o damaging the factory paint job but it makes the car a remodel job.

The four-axle New York Central coach makes the most sense. But what I would do if I was designing the model is have two sets of bolster holes – one for the center-bolster four-wheel truck and the other for the offset-bolster six-wheel truck. Then all possible scenarios are covered.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »
+2
The four-axle New York Central coach makes the most sense. But what I would do if I was designing the model is have two sets of bolster holes – one for the center-bolster four-wheel truck and the other for the offset-bolster six-wheel truck. Then all possible scenarios are covered.

This please. 

And please, please, please get the length correct on this car.  A hiccup like the horse express car being the wrong length would be devastating... so don't randomly stretch it to Pullman length!

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2016, 11:47:21 AM »
+1

I know you are advocating for your chosen prototype, but a four axle coach would make it a pretty useless stand in for Canadian Pacific and Make it inaccurate for Rutland, Erie, Southern, GMO, and L&N.

I agree if it is possible without compromising the model it would be nice if it could accommodate both style of trucks, but personally I prefer 6 axle.

Just putting out my 2 cents...  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:12:02 PM by Missaberoad »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »
I'm a big fan of the 2 bolster hole idea.

Besides that, isn't it about time MT made a 4 wheel pass. truck anyway?.Especially since they seem to be 'The" company when it comes to n scale heavyweight passenger cars .....(YMMV)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
+1
I believe that Joe has already said something about making a 4-wheel truck... way back in this thread.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2016, 04:14:20 PM »
+1
I know you are advocating for your chosen prototype, but a four axle coach would make it a pretty useless stand in for Canadian Pacific and Make it inaccurate for Rutland, Erie, Southern, GMO, and L&N.

I agree if it is possible without compromising the model it would be nice if it could accommodate both style of trucks, but personally I prefer 6 axle.

Just putting out my 2 cents...  :D

Actually, I'm not advocating for my chosen prototype, which would be New Haven.  I'm advocating for the prototype that is the best stand-in for the largest number of roads, which is exactly what a manufacturer would normally do — maximize the demand of the product.  It would be simple to design two sets of bolster holes to accommodate both types of trucks without compromising the appearance of the model.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »
Actually, I'm not advocating for my chosen prototype, which would be New Haven.  I'm advocating for the prototype that is the best stand-in for the largest number of roads, which is exactly what a manufacturer would normally do — maximize the demand of the product.  It would be simple to design two sets of bolster holes to accommodate both types of trucks without compromising the appearance of the model.

But you said the 4 axle truck makes the most sense... To me that is limiting the number of possiblities unless there are more roads that use 4 axle trucks that arent on Jerry's list...

I agree with the point that if both options are possible that would be best, but I dont see the 4 axle option making the "most sense" outside of New England.

If only one truck option is possible then the 6 axle truck would give the most prototypes and give more options for standins

That being said I agree with your other statement that if both options are avalible that would be ideal...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:30:10 PM by Missaberoad »

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2016, 08:43:04 PM »
+1
The four-axle truck does make the most sense in regard to prototypical accuracy over a greater number of prototypes. However, what I have advocated for is the dual bolster design so that either truck configuration can be used. And yes, it would be easy to design the model to accept either truck style.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
I must be missing something here because from Jerry's list
B&M, NYC & NYNH&H had 4 wheel trucks
Where
Erie, GM&O, L&N, NYC, NYNH&H, Rutland and Southern had 6 wheel trucks.

What am I missing here? Is Jerry's list incomplete or are there prototypes I haven't considered?

Sorry I'm just confused by your assertion...

And once again I'm not disagreeing that having both options would be ideal...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:31:42 PM by Missaberoad »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2016, 10:32:53 PM »
+2
Just sell my the body, I'll truck it up myself  :D