Author Topic: Trouble Posting Photos from Google  (Read 8917 times)

Chris333

• Crew
Re: Trouble Posting Photos from Google
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2016, 12:13:13 AM »
Try adding "-tmp.jpg" instead of "?.jpg".

Jason

Forum still won't even let me post it. You need to join to see anything http://ngrm-online.com/forums/   So I tried to tell them to change the forum settings.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
Bob Gilmore's method worked for me. Thanks Bob!

I'll have to make sure I only upload the photos I plan to actually post to Google Photos to keep the photo numbers manageable.

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »
Bob Gilmore's method worked for me. Thanks Bob!

I'll have to make sure I only upload the photos I plan to actually post to Google Photos to keep the photo numbers manageable.

@squirrelhunter  , YW :)

I checked on the three photos I posted at TRW on the 4th of Aug, and they're still visible here.  I'd put them in a new, sharable album at Google Photos (limited to those who have the link) so I'm assuming the ?.jpg method is going to work okay and is quite simple.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:11:20 AM by robert3985 »

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2016, 12:51:10 AM »
...From there it's the old left-click copy and paste image URL where you can manually adjust the image size at the end of the URL.  You only need to do the width and the height will adjust automatically. 

Jason

Just for chits & giggles I thought I'd give Jason's image size adjustment trick a try...

Photo (1) - Here's the first upload with a very big jpg and just adding the ?.jpg ...

Photo (2) - Here's the second upload where I typed in 800 taking the place of the original size width in the dimensions, which looks like this...=w1533-h1018- , substituting 800 for 1533...

Yup, height ( h ) automatically adjusted, keeping the width to height ratio correct.  :)

I modified my first post on this thread with my "?.jpg" solution to include Jason's image size trick.  Thanks Jason!

Pretty cool and not so hard to do.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:10:35 AM by robert3985 »

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
This whole thing just blows.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
Just to simplify things, I just spent about an hour figuring out and testing how to upload to Google Photos, and get them to post here at TRW.

It's not complicated, but not as easy as posting from now discontinued and no-longer-accessible Picasa except through Google Photos Album Archive.

I won't 'splain how to upload your photos, since that's easy to figure out.

Just to clarify, I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit, so if you're using a Mac or a newer/older Win OS, or Linux, then your experience might be different....

Here's how to make your photos appear here from Google Photos:

(1) Go to Google Photos here:  https://photos.google.com  You have to be signed on in your Google account, and all of your Picasa uploads will be there in their respective albums after you sign on.  If you're at Picasaweb, you're really in Google Photos.  As far as I can tell, the old Picasa website isn't extant any longer.

(2) Click on an album and then right click on a photo you want to post here.  Then click on "Copy Image Location"

(3) At TRW when you're in the posting menu, right click where you want your photo to appear and press "Paste"

(4) Go to the end of the code you've just pasted, and without any spaces type ?.jpg  This applies if your photo is a jpg I assume.  All my uploads at Picasa were jpg's so if yours are bmp's or tif's, or RAW files, I don't know.

(5) Highlight the code you've just added to, then click on the "Insert Image" icon in the post menu toolbar

(6) Write the rest of your post just like you normally do here and review or post it.

(7) Your image will appear in your post just like it used to using Picasa with the exception that as far as I know, Google Photos doesn't give you a choice as to the size you want it posted, and in my case, the photos were posted here in a nice "large" size. 

(8 ) Jason let us know that varying the size of the photo posted is possible after you've copied the "image location" and pasted it here,  by going to the end of the URL, where the width and height are specified, then replacing the width ( w ) numbers with how small you want it to appear here...for example ...w1533 with w800.  Height ( h ) will automatically adjust, so leave it alone.  Very cool...

Hope this makes it easier for those of you who haven't figured out how to post photos from your old Picasa albums yet.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

this worked great

thanks bob

Eric
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2016, 12:25:44 AM »
Saw an ad on TV today. A bunch of people taking pics with their phones and getting a "memory full" message. I was waiting for it to be a new iPhone with expandable memory. Instead it says save all your phone photos on Google Photos  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

You can get 256GB cards for phones now.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 01:58:07 AM »
"You can get 256GB cards for phones now."

My PC only has 148 GB...
N Kalanaga
Be well

Chris333

• Crew

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
My current 2 year old phone has a 32GB stick in it.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/memory-cards/micro-sd-evo-256gb-memory-card-w-adapter-mb-mc256da-am/

/>

I've got a 64Gb stick in my Samsung Galaxy S5, and 4TB on my most recent desktop PC build, with 4Tb more in external HDD's.  USB 3.0 is essential!  The laptop has 2Tb, with 500Gb in an external HDD. Nikon DSLR is running two 64Gb sticks with four more 64Gb sticks in the camera bag. I'm not sure how many 32Gb SD cards I've got.

...and I'm thinking of adding a 4Tb internal 3rd HDD to the desktop for a total of 8Tb on the desk!

I don't use any cloud service for archival photo storage because only a select few will allow me to store photos in Nikon NEF RAW format.  I don't trust the cloud yet.  It's HDD's and DVD's for me so far.

I only use Google Photos when I want to post an image to a forum, not for archival storage.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:05:38 AM by robert3985 »

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2016, 08:15:40 PM »
Last night someone asked for info on a project I did long ago. And I was once again pissed at Google. I kept a lot of that info in the captions of my photos on Picasa.  :RUEffinKiddingMe: