Author Topic: Tortoise Wire & Accessories  (Read 4447 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Tortoise Wire & Accessories
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
+1
Lol, you mean my future wire strippers?

I've been down THAT road before...

Do you have recommendations for good cutters?

I don't use any cutters in fear of ruining them. I instead I use a cutoff disk in a Dremel (while wearing safety glasses).

If you lower the speed and go slowly you can even trim the top part of the wire protruding through the throw bar without melting the plastic.
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
+1
I don't use any cutters in fear of ruining them. I instead I use a cutoff disk in a Dremel (while wearing safety glasses).

If you lower the speed and go slowly you can even trim the top part of the wire protruding through the throw bar without melting the plastic.

I wish I had posted that.   :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
+1
In my experience, it's much easier to install and center the Tortoise with a long wire sticking several inches above the track and only cut it afterwards when everything works properly. To cut the wire with a cutoff disk just below the rail tops seems awkward to me; would need to be cut at an angle in order not to damage the rails? Maybe I'm missing something?
Otto K.

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
+1
When I install my machines, I make sure I have about an inch of exposed wire when it is installed. After I make sure everything is good to go, I use a dremel to cut and slowly file the wire flush.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:45:56 PM by SD452XR »

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
+1
I have trimmed the wire with diagnonal cutters of a cut-off disk, after it's installed in the track.

But in general, for cutting music wire, three words: Klein Linesmans Pliers
https://www.cpesupply.com/2329210/Product/D213-9NE?gclid=CNjVy4Og3c4CFRBZhgodIbAB2g

I have a pair my father gave me when I was a teenager, and I still use them for this.  They will cut through
heavy .039 music wire like it's a plastic straw.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
+1
In my experience, it's much easier to install and center the Tortoise with a long wire sticking several inches above the track and only cut it afterwards when everything works properly. To cut the wire with a cutoff disk just below the rail tops seems awkward to me; would need to be cut at an angle in order not to damage the rails? Maybe I'm missing something?
Otto K.

Yeah, you are. Peco and Atlas C55 turnouts have throwbars with a hole for the wire on the outside of the turnout (not in the center).
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
+1
Personally, I don't do it that way.  I cut off the wire with some stronger diagonal pliers, and then I
buzz back and forth across the top of the wire with the edge of the cut-off wheel until I clean it up and
trim it down.  I don't try to cut *across* the wire to actually cut it off.

That way, I don't have to worry about hitting anything sideways with the edge of the cutoff disk.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »
Yeah, you are. Peco and Atlas C55 turnouts have throwbars with a hole for the wire on the outside of the turnout (not in the center).

Well Peteski, you got me; I was thinking of hand built turnouts with the actuating wire between the points, where I like'em, like the one below. Not a lot of room there. So, there are lots of ways to cut wire, who knew  :D
Otto K.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 02:26:12 PM »
Might as well post here rather than start a new one.

When using a Tortoise to control Micro-Engineering turnouts, is there any advantage to using the center hole on the throwbar vs. a hole on either end?
If using an end hole, is it a good idea to remove the little locking spring on the turnout, or is it better to leave it in place (can't leave it if the center hole is used of course)?

Regarding the original topic - I install the wire sticking up at least a couple of inches.  Then I use a pair of beat-up (already trashed) old diagonal cutters to trim the wire as close to the railtop as possible.   Then I use a grinding wheel or point in a Dremel tool to grind it close to the throwbar, but leave at little sticking up.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »
Might as well post here rather than start a new one.

When using a Tortoise to control Micro-Engineering turnouts, is there any advantage to using the center hole on the throwbar vs. a hole on either end?
If using an end hole, is it a good idea to remove the little locking spring on the turnout, or is it better to leave it in place (can't leave it if the center hole is used of course)?

Regarding the original topic - I install the wire sticking up at least a couple of inches.  Then I use a pair of beat-up (already trashed) old diagonal cutters to trim the wire as close to the railtop as possible.   Then I use a grinding wheel or point in a Dremel tool to grind it close to the throwbar, but leave at little sticking up.
Those of us here downunder always use the centre hole in our Micro Engineering turnouts along with any hand made turnouts and remove the spring, all 84 of them on my old SFRSD.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com