Author Topic: Any easy way to check entries on a particular subject?  (Read 1245 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
Any easy way to check entries on a particular subject?
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:03:38 AM »
Wondering if TRW has any "how to" threads on making rubber latex molds.

nkalanaga

• Crew
Re: Any easy way to check entries on a particular subject?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 02:43:30 AM »
Do a search on rubber molds?  No, that doesn't work.  I tried

rubber molds
latex molds
mold

and all three returned no pages.  Surely at least one topic has had those words in it.  I KNOW the word "mold" has appeared, in several contexts.

Good question!
N Kalanaga
Be well

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:54:21 AM »
I got 56 pages of content with the word mold in it ..

select Home .. then perform the search ...

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
Does the search only work on the group one is in, such as "Administrative" for this one?  If so, that would explain my lack of results.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
Does the search only work on the group one is in, such as "Administrative" for this one?  If so, that would explain my lack of results.

Yes... For best results you have to be on the main forum index. Had that bite me before...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
Use the advanced search Luke!  That gives you full flexibility of what and where to search for.

I also think that it much be much more fruitful to this search (for mold-making tutorial) either in Google or on Youtube. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on the subject.

Also, are we taking about making rock molds or molds to cast model train parts?  Latex rubber is usually used for rock molds and RTV silicone or urethane rubber for casting small parts.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 01:35:16 AM »
Ryan:  Thank you.  That's what I was starting to suspect...

Peteski:  Good question.  Rock molds are easy to make, but I've never tried casting parts.  My secret ingredient for rock molds was used dryer fabric softener sheets.  Put a few layers of latex on a wet rock, wait for them to almost dry, lay a sheet over them, and add some more.  For a big rock, use more than one sheet.  For a more durable mold, repeat the process, layering latex and sheets, making sure the latex soaks through each sheet.

My molds were on a cubic chunk of coal about eight inches on a side, for sedimentary cliffs.
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:31 AM »
Yeah, RTV silicone for making molds of flat walls. MR had an article by Art Fahie (whatever happened to him?) on casting walls with RTV.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 02:21:55 AM »
Yeah, RTV silicone for making molds of flat walls. MR had an article by Art Fahie (whatever happened to him?) on casting walls with RTV.

Art is http://www.barmillsmodels.com/

If you go to websites of companies which sell rubber and resins like Alumilite or Smooth-On (you can  look up both websites just as easy as I could), they have lots of helpful hints and  how-to videos. Alumilite even has a forum so you can ask questions. And like I said earlier, you should find lots of Youtube videos on the subject.  Why limit yourself to just the Railwire?
. . . 42 . . .

Palouse51

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »
Just a quick note on searching generally.

One can also use google to do a site specific search. This often works better than the search function built into some websites. (not that ours here is bad)

Do for example site:www.therailwire.net "rubber mold" in google or yahoo etc. It works with most of them.

So that's site:address.of.site.you.want.to.search + search terms.