Author Topic: Exactrail on MBK  (Read 1547 times)

RSWController

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Exactrail on MBK
« on: August 18, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
The thread about Intermountain made me take my daily look at the new arrivals section on MBK. As interesting as the numerous hoppers released, I noticed a few Exactrail cars listed. A few CSX waffle boxes and Trenton TTX flats among a couple others. What's the story with that? Exactrail going away from the direct only business plan?

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
Re: Exactrail on MBK
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
This is the second time in recent weeks that mbk has posted Exactrail product.
Ryan in Alberta

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
I think it is a good idea they are adding more avenues for sales other than direct. 

I only wish they would do more n scale stuff other than modern stuff.  maybe then their sales volume would get better.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1999
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
I only wish they would do more n scale stuff other than modern stuff.  maybe then their sales volume would get better.
The funny thing about your statement is that I can just hear other modelers saying; I wish that manufacturer XYZ would do more modern stuff in addition to the older prototype models.  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
I'll take it one step further... I wish Exactrail started making N scale again full stop!  :D

**seriously when was the last time they released a new paint scheme let alone model?
Ryan in Alberta

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
The funny thing about your statement is that I can just hear other modelers saying; I wish that manufacturer XYZ would do more modern stuff in addition to the older prototype models.  :)

Well their complaint passed on to others was that their n scale stuff didn't sell and sat around too long.  Thus no impetus to do more.

Most of the modelers in our club do not do a whole lot of modern modeling and don't go for much modern stuff.  Late 90's seems to be the cut off for the most part.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1066
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »
Well their complaint passed on to others was that their n scale stuff didn't sell and sat around too long.  Thus no impetus to do more.

Most of the modelers in our club do not do a whole lot of modern modeling and don't go for much modern stuff.  Late 90's seems to be the cut off for the most part.

Discussed on TRW previously. As far as I'm concerned Exactrail did it to themselves (sorry, Blaine). Their featured first N product (IIRC) was a prototype so niche and so specific that it had to be explained - the Vert-a-Pac, non-SP version. The prototype had a very short lifespan, so if your modeling period didn't touch 1971-1976 there was no justification to have one. So, golly gee, no wonder they gathered dust. :| If they had, for instance, done the GSC flat instead (which they beautifully executed in HO), they would have had a winner, and therefore not been left with the impression that N didn't sell.

Other HO companies have done this. Overland's (the brass people) first N model was the DDA40X. A single-railroad model, and one that didn't run on anything less than 24" radius. They complained that "N didn't sell"... of course not, not with a niche model that wouldn't run on 95% of the layouts out there!

This said about HO'ers doing N, I'm very, very impressed with the folks at Scaletrains, having chatted with them last weekend, and held a Turbine in my hot little hands. Looking forward to more great things.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:16:45 PM by C855B »
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:27 PM »
Discussed on TRW previously. As far as I'm concerned Exactrail did it to themselves (sorry, Blaine). Their featured first N product (IIRC) was a prototype so niche and so specific that it had to be explained - the Vert-a-Pac, non-SP version. The prototype had a very short lifespan, so if your modeling period didn't touch 1971-1976 there was no justification to have one. So, golly gee, no wonder they gathered dust. :| If they had, for instance, done the GSC flat instead (which they beautifully executed in HO), they would have had a winner, and therefore not been left with the impression that N didn't sell.

Keep in mind the first few products were cars he tooled under contract or to sell to other companies, so the tooling existed already when he decided to go on his own.

One example i know is his trinity hopper was supposed to be a lbf car...

You point still remains valid however that there was some bad luck with model choice and duplication...

Its a shame because I do see potential there...
Ryan in Alberta

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 01:46:00 AM »
Interestingly, theExactRail HO EE-1005-5 50' PC&F 6033 Cu. Ft. Box Car, Western Pacific #3102 is $42.79 at MBK.

Yet the same car is $36.95 direct from Exactrail.
Bill McBride

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:02 AM »
Interestingly, theExactRail HO EE-1005-5 50' PC&F 6033 Cu. Ft. Box Car, Western Pacific #3102 is $42.79 at MBK.

Yet the same car is $36.95 direct from Exactrail.

Exactrail also puts almost everything on sale - a month at a time - once or twice a year....

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »
I wonder where MBK got these ...  :trollface:

This has been flogged pretty heavily, but the direct sale approach has hurt sales I think (at least for N scale).

Take the SOUTHERN waffle box car - I'm pretty sure these would have sold out long ago if released by BLMA, Atlas, IM or any other manufacturer that distributes into re-sellers (stores). Yet, several years on they still have plenty in stock.

Mark

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
I wonder where MBK got these ...  :trollface:

This has been flogged pretty heavily, but the direct sale approach has hurt sales I think (at least for N scale).

Take the SOUTHERN waffle box car - I'm pretty sure these would have sold out long ago if released by BLMA, Atlas, IM or any other manufacturer that distributes into re-sellers (stores). Yet, several years on they still have plenty in stock.

Mark

True - but - isn''t a long held complaint that it's GOOD for stuff to be available for a long time???  :)

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 05:27:36 PM »
Good for the consumer, but when the morgage payment and the payment to cut the next set of tooling is sitting on the shelf not selling it affects what you do down the road.

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
 Im still on their mailer, just in case they produce their HO Gunderson Ace woodchip hoppers in N scale, but sometimes I get awful close to hittin the unsubscribe button...
ExactRail was a favorite manufacturer of mine for quite a while with their consistent Southern Pacific model releases.  They drained my wallet from multiple models like:
PC&F 6033 c.f. Hy-cube SD Box
Gunderson 5200 Box (not just SP)
2,420 c.f. Gunderson Gons
Will keep hoping that they go back to their roots, and push out some more SP gold...  =   $$ burning a hole to buy multiple quantities.

Jeff
http://espeeoregondivision.blogspot.com/

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 11:19:31 PM »
+1
True - but - isn''t a long held complaint that it's GOOD for stuff to be available for a long time???  :)

Not if it's product sitting because it's over priced. MBK may be listing them, but the discount is less than $2 per car. Pretty highly priced by comparison.
Peter Pfotenhauer