Author Topic: Get Off My Lawn!  (Read 1593 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Get Off My Lawn!
« on: August 10, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »
Can we please stop complaining every time a word that wasn't commonly used pre-1920's is included in a post?  I'm old, yet somehow I still manage to understand things.   Most of these "new-fangled" words or phrases are at least 10 years old or more.

I swear I'm gonna start writing all of my posts in Shakespeare or King James format if we can't somehow move past this.

I'm starting to agree with whoever it was that said The Railwire is becoming more and more Atlas-esque every day.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
Re: Get Off My Lawn!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »
Since I can't upvote this +1 :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:41:52 PM »
Only if we also stop complaining about the respect vote system and bashing Facebook.   :trollface:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:43:26 PM by Dave Vollmer »

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
There has definitely been a change here since I officially joined in 2008.  I miss a lot of what has been discarded.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »
There has definitely been a change here since I officially joined in 2008.  I miss a lot of what has been discarded.

There's a solution to that, ya know....  More modeling!   :D

I hear you, though...  We've lost a lot of greats since 2008.  But, OTOH, we have gained some fantastic modelers too.  And we still have @tom mann!  A browse through @mmagliaro's 0-6-0 scratchbuild might also help ease your concerns.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
Since I can't upvote this +1 :D

Dangit, didn't realize you can't upvote in this forum.  I was trying to bring my count back into the + column.  Main reason I posted this.   Thanks for the sentiment I guess.    :trollface: 8)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:01:19 PM »
There's a solution to that, ya know....  More modeling!   :D

I hear you, though...  We've lost a lot of greats since 2008.  But, OTOH, we have gained some fantastic modelers too.  And we still have @tom mann!  A browse through @mmagliaro's 0-6-0 scratchbuild might also help ease your concerns.

I agree on the modeling comment fully!  I lurked for quite some time before joining, I was intimidated by the magazine quality modeling oozing out of every corner, nook and cranny.  We lost several key members to Father Time and then we seem to run out a bunch of others.  Scenery is my weakness, oh and changing my track plan.  I miss the old hard core Nscale dominated feel we used to have.  But we have gained in other areas too, so here I stay!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »
Do you remember a time when conversations devolved into Pennsy discussions instead of a criticism about the forum? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »

Nothing has been discarded .. every post that's been made is probably still in the database somewhere ..

people move on, others move in. they all add or subtract from the collective ..  many of the hard core modelers are still here, but just don't post as regularly.  I've found a lot of the complainers never actually show anything.  There are some who are takers, who never contribute positively.  I appreciate everything anyone shows, but don't expect Oooohs and ahhhs for mediocrity .. my own modeling is barely above that level ..  some folks get pissed when someone disagrees with them, or they disagree with others, and take their bat an ball and leave in a huff .. some eventually come back when they when they need something ..

It is what it is .. nothing in life is constant ..  the same goes for here ..

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
Nothing has been discarded .. every post that's been made is probably still in the database somewhere ..

people move on, others move in. they all add or subtract from the collective ..  many of the hard core modelers are still here, but just don't post as regularly.  I've found a lot of the complainers never actually show anything.  There are some who are takers, who never contribute positively.  I appreciate everything anyone shows, but don't expect Oooohs and ahhhs for mediocrity .. my own modeling is barely above that level ..  some folks get pissed when someone disagrees with them, or they disagree with others, and take their bat an ball and leave in a huff .. some eventually come back when they when they need something ..

It is what it is .. nothing in life is constant ..  the same goes for here ..

Maybe not the best word in discarded.  Anytime something evolves new characteristics something old gets left behind. As you said it is part of life.  Like most people, I remember the things I thought were good that have disappeared and quickly forgotten the things I didn't like when they left. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »
I like bacon.

To be honest, I haven't felt much like modeling these last few months.  I get a little urge here and there and piddle some, but mostly I don't.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com