Author Topic: Atlas N RS-11 new release, DCC  (Read 3198 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Re: Atlas N RS-11 new release, DCC
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 09:14:07 PM »
Atlas received it today. Let's see what they do.
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 09:45:31 PM »
Have not gotten loco back from Atlas. I know they close for 2 weeks every Summer, so a backlog in repairs? What has been your experience with warranty work?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »
Atlas got loco on/about Aug.17th. This monday, sent e-mail to Customer service, no reply. Called reair dep't., got to leave message, twice. No call back!
 I've to try calling Corey next. Never had these contact problems with Atlas before.
 Joe D

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »
I would definitely try calling - I've been having problems with email contact (with Atlas) this year.

sschnabl

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
I believe Atlas is backed up with their warranty repairs.  I sent in my Alco S2 w/ sound because of a bad board back in the middle of April and received it just before Labor Day.  I did know upfront that it would be at least 10 - 12 weeks.  After 12 weeks I called and asked for an update.  They were very apologetic on the phone and said they would move it up in their schedule.  It took longer than I hoped, but I still had two other ones to play with while I waited  :trollface:

Scott

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 05:05:38 PM »
I did not know know that they were backed up so much. I'll wait.
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »
I was in hospital all week. Loco showed up Thursday. Atlas replaced decoder. Are these dual mode locos? It was running on DC for 1-1/2 trips around layout, then stopped with lights on! Will set address in DCC and give her a spin later. Need to rest a bit now.
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »
I was in hospital all week. Loco showed up Thursday. Atlas replaced decoder. Are these dual mode locos? It was running on DC for 1-1/2 trips around layout, then stopped with lights on! Will set address in DCC and give her a spin later. Need to rest a bit now.
 Joe D

I have not encountered (or heard of) a decoder not being dual-mode since I started messing around with DCC over 15 years ago.  Maybe some really early decoders (in the '90) were DCC-only, but I think that even since the early DCC days the decoders were dual-model.   Is your DC throttle blowing up decoders?
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
Just programmed long address into loco, and it ran fine for a few feet in DCC. Then stoppped with lights on. Maybe Atlas didn't get motor tabs right after replacing decoder?
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 12:19:44 AM »
Just programmed long address into loco, and it ran fine for a few feet in DCC. Then stoppped with lights on. Maybe Atlas didn't get motor tabs right after replacing decoder?
 Joe D

When the motor stops responding, can you still control the headlights?  I mean can you turn them on and off and change their direction by trying to get the loco to run in forward and reverse directions?
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 01:10:20 AM »
Yes, that function works.
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
Then you are most likely correct that the motor is not making a good contact with the decoder.  Either take the shelf off and futz with the decoder or return it to Atlas again. These Atlas locos are definitely NOT crap!  :)

EDIT: spelling  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:39:33 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +928
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »
+2
There is a very easy fix for this.

Just solder a couple of wires to the motor pickup tabs and be done with it.  If you send it back to Atlas AGAIN, there is still no guarantee that it will work after you get it back.  The only permanent solution is to make sure you have electrical contact between the board and the motor tabs, and the only way to be absolutely sure of that is to solder wires between the motor output pads on the decoder and the motor pickup tabs.  It's not hard to do this if you know anything about soldering.  If you don't, send the chassis to me (PM me for address) and I'll fix it for just the postage both ways.  It won't take longer than five minutes.

I realize that there is a certain amount of "Atlas should fix this; the engine is NEW!"  All true.  But why not just end your frustration the easy way by implementing a permanent fix.

BTW, this is why I never use "drop in" board decoders, and if I can, I avoid buying units with DCC boards in them (preferring to roll my own if that is possible - sometimes it isn't, particularly with current steam locos).  In the time it's taken to send this back to Atlas for a fix that apparently still isn't working, I could have installed at least a hundred hard-wire decoders in these Atlas units.  The IDEA of drop-ins is far more appealing than the actual experience in many cases . . .

John C.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:16:34 PM by jdcolombo »

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »
John, I like your thinking. I want to run this loco for a bit, before I have to pack everything up to move to home we're buying. (New layout designs spinning already;) ). Will remove shell after supper.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Did not have to go with Johns idea. One of the wipers was not contacting truck tab well. (These seem to be very finicky lately). The wheels seemed dirty, too. I did clean them when I first got loco. Put some conduct-a-lube on truck tabs, and all is well!
 Need to dig out a NH NE6 to run behind a small train now.
 Joe D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:01:32 PM by Joetrain59 »

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
BTW, on the old A board, I mentioned I like to use RSD12 fuel tanks on RS11's. They look much better. Atlas has them in stock.
Type 428029 in the search box at the online store and they should come up. They are .90 cents each.
 Joe D