Author Topic: Rapidpro continuing to churn out vehicles in N (and HO)!  (Read 4006 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Rapidpro continuing to churn out vehicles in N (and HO)!
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
+2
Rapidpro on Shapeways continues to pop out new HO and N vehicles at an accelerated rate.  Released yesterday in HO and N is the car from my early childhood years — a 1965 Buick Skylark Coupe!  I'm stoked!  Just bought a pair in N, and looking forward to painting one metallic gold with black enamel roof.  :D

Needless to say, add Rapidpro to your favorites list on Shapeways and watch for various vehicles to appear.  Recent releases have been from the 1960s and 1970s.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Rapidpro continuing to churn out vehicles in N (and HO)!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »
His models really are phenomenal. I'm not sure what his day job is, but he knows just the right amount of surface detail/depth and width of panel lines, proper wheels specific to the prototype, and radius/curvature/complex curves of the model in general.

He recently added a Gen 2 Ford Explorer Sport to his models. I had a Gen 2.5 and really appreciate this icon of the late 1990's.

With literally hundreds of vehicles with prices ranging from 10-20 per vehicle in FXD, we finally have the ability to make our city streets truly realistic. He had certainly filed the void we had for passenger cars, and the main reason why I'm advocating that Showcase and others focus on trucks buses and construction equipment that is too delicate and too expensive to produce using FXD.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »
@bbussey - Please post some detailed photos when you receive the models, both prior to and after painting. 
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »
The body being solid (no see-through windows Is a bit of a letdown for me.  There are other vehicles on Shapeways where the bodies are hollow with windows being open.  But I also do understand that making those windows look good is also a problem.
. . . 42 . . .

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
The body being solid (no see-through windows Is a bit of a letdown for me.  There are other vehicles on Shapeways where the bodies are hollow with windows being open.  But I also do understand that making those windows look good is also a problem.

While I haven't tried it on these, I think if you mask off the windows on the "frosted" prints you might get a nice effect.  I shoot all my cars with Matt clear to tone things down a bit so they look more scale.  windows as well.  Getting rid of the bling my kids say.  LOL
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:31:54 PM »
I just want to see some finished products from those who have played with these products.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 08:07:08 AM »
I would be interested in seeing how they look up close and finished. 

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
The dude must have access to a full size scanner and a multitude of historical vehicles.

Modeling complex body panels for an entire 1/2 of a car (and mirroring the other side) by eye would take months and likely would not look right.  That looks near perfect.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
The dude must have access to a full size scanner and a multitude of historical vehicles.

Modeling complex body panels for an entire 1/2 of a car (and mirroring the other side) by eye would take months and likely would not look right.  That looks near perfect.

But didn't we have a lengthy discussion about 3D scanners where it was said that their output leaves a lot t be desired?  Didn't you say that in many cases it would be easier to start a drawing from scratch rather than trying to clean up and fix a 3D scan?  You even showed some scans (from your job I believe) demonstrating the scanner's failings?
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »
The designer works from photos and mechanical drawings. He's just that good. Also, all the GM bodies always have been shared across the divisions, so that makes it easier to create the Skylark for example when you have already the digital Cutlass model as a base.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »
But didn't we have a lengthy discussion about 3D scanners where it was said that their output leaves a lot t be desired?  Didn't you say that in many cases it would be easier to start a drawing from scratch rather than trying to clean up and fix a 3D scan?  You even showed some scans (from your job I believe) demonstrating the scanner's failings?

Yes but suface correction is much easier after scaling because the imperfections are so much smaller.  But Bryan says that's not what he does anyway.

I wonder, does he have a license from GM to do it?

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 01:40:56 PM »
I would be interested in seeing how they look up close and finished.

Chris Broughton @cbroughton67 recently finished a couple of 1970s GM sedans that he turned into a pair of earrings for his daughter.  He took photos of the finished models pre-earrings.  He may still have photos that he can post here.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »

Cars aren't that difficult with the right technique.  All some modelers need are 3-4 profile or cross-sections.

Jason

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 02:21:03 PM »
How would you paint the windshield and the rest of the windows?

Black with a glossy overcoat?

Javier

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
Chris used a gloss dark gray.

One nice feature is that the models are hollow with thin walls. If one is daring (and careful) enough, the solid windows can be removed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 03:51:40 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net