Author Topic: N Scale Money Saving Modeling Tips  (Read 6298 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
N Scale Money Saving Modeling Tips
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:56 AM »
+1
I am putting together an article on N SCALE MONEY SAVING MODELING TIPS. I welcome contributors. Please
post here, post links, PM me or use my email. You can cut the cost of modeling in half and spend
money wisely on LDE modeling and getting only what you need for modeling vs. doing what I use
to do, pegboards full of stuff, looked like an LHS.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:10:49 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1867
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: N Scale Modeling Hacks
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
One that has saved me time and money over the years was repurposing modules. I had a scene that was 12'-6" long (two 6'-3" straight modules). I decided to redo the scene more prototypically, so I rebuilt it on two curved 6' modules.

Instead of tossing the old modules I left the main line in tact and redid the scenery, now I have a couple of scenic modules I didn't have before.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3120
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:02:01 PM »
+2
Used Exacto folding blade holders (the clear ones) make great capsules for dedicated tap drill, tap and clearance drills of a specific size.  I havew one for 00-90, 00-80, 1-72 and 2-56...

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »
This is great - Keep em' coming. The contributions and article will be posed only here and
my blog/FB page for the layout. All contributions will be given credit.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:33:34 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »
I like the idea Chuck, but I'm not crazy about the name.  To me the word hack has negative connotations (on all its levels of definition).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hack
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hack

I would think that "modeling tips" might be more appropriate.  Just sayin' . . .
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »
I like the idea Chuck, but I'm not crazy about the name.  To me the word hack has negative connotations (on all its levels of definition).

I would think that "modeling tips" might be more appropriate.  Just sayin' . . .

Yeah. I was wondering, exactly WHAT is a hack?

Hmm... Kiz is a hack,
meant in a negative way...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »

I agree with you, Pete, but it's this new thing that seems to be all over the internet.  An example would be those clickbait links that suggest to click here to learn about "life hacks," i.e., tips for improving your life.  In that connotation, a hack is a tip.  But, I'm not a fan of this new definition, either.

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »

Seriously?  You haven't heard of 'lifehacker.com'?   

There are lots of people who use it with a positive connotation.   
Maybe they're all just younger than you.   :trollface:

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
Hack is also a slang term for caboose!

"Modeling tips" does sound much better.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »
+2
"Hacks" is appropriate here. Words change over time. In short, it means to use something for another purpose for which it was not designed.

Using steel calipers to scribe lines in white metal or plastic.
Using compass needles if you don't have an awl handy. Helpful for starting holes for drilling.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
I do not like the word hacks as used here . Maybe , Repurposed , Dime savers , Make do , Alternate use , Reused , Jerry rigged , might be more self explanatory .

I glue with fillers 19 Krazy Glue white tubes together and then snot them to an aluminum 2 3/8" lazy Susan bearing . Holds everything that fits :lol:. I have about 5 ot 6 , and the female lady woman has one for eye shadow pencils .
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:01:01 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »
Context matters too.   As a software developer, being called a "hacker" can be taken as praise.   As a musician it's quite the opposite.

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5395
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »
+2
I've always considered myself an N scale hack... :facepalm:

I did an N Scale Approach column at some point along similar lines...  "Making Something from Nothing" or something along those lines.  Repurposing locomotive light boards (removed for decoders) as structure lighting, for instance...

I'm always looking for readily available stuff that can inexpensively replace pricier commercial parts.  Ed's grout ballast, for instance...  You can get a 50 lb bag in just about any color you want for about what it costs to get a small pouch of Woodland Scenics.

Give me time... I've got a million of them...

Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 04:49:35 PM »
+4
focus people   LOL

I use those metal wire clips you can buy by the dozens, un insulated and attach them to bamboo skewers to hold parts for painting or soldering.  I have a jar of them attached to regular toothpicks and they help keep glued surfaces together like mini vices.  Here they are attached to metal wire.  I've also used aluminum armature wire and bent them to be free standing. 

In that same vane, when I did a lot of 1/72 armor models I would drill out lengths of different diameters of wood dowel and epoxy dry wall screws in the hole.  I used a dremel tool with a metal cut off wheel to take the heads off so all I had was the thread.  I would drill a small hole in the bottom of the tank and thread it on the screw to hold for painting.  You can even put an eyelet in one end and hang them, or use thicker dowel and they will stand on their end.  I still use them  recently when I built one of those bulk pack boxes of Tichy Trains 40' flats.  They also work on N trucks when you want to paint them. 

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 04:56:49 PM »
+1
focus people   LOL

Joe, just be happy they're busy telling people how to title their own threads instead of--ahem--hacking on you.   :trollface:

And hack is absolutely appropriate here...I'll have some on-topic contributions soon.    8)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.