Author Topic: Has to be a better tutorial for DL109 than THIS  (Read 1461 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Has to be a better tutorial for DL109 than THIS
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:06:18 AM »
http://thecentralstation.myfreeforum.org/archive/walthers-life-like-dl-109__o_t__t_3001.html

Engine apart, engine frame cut .....then engine completely re-assembled, w/o a  single intermediate step between illustrated. Come ON ... somebody must have posted a decent DCC DIY instruction on line!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:55:36 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Has to be a better tutorial for DL109 than THIS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:31:27 AM »
+2
Really?  That seems to tell you way more than you'd need to know.  :|

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 11:55:23 AM »
Actually, I thought it was pretty good - and thanks for the pointer, as I have a couple of these to do!

Having said that, clearly the instructions are not detailed enough for someone who has never installed a decoder before, but if you've installed a hardwired decoder a few times, this article shows you what you need to do that is specific to the DL-109.

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »
+1
Looks pretty good to me. i would have cut the blue and white wires a little shorter. but if it fits wouldn't do it over either.

Martin Myers

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
+1
Maybe check the TCS website - they have bunch of installed covered.  But with older models decoder installs aren't always simple or easy.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
Maybe check the TCS website - they have bunch of installed covered.  But with older models decoder installs aren't always simple or easy.

Looked everywhere; no decoder company has a tutorial. And those of you going to follow this one, some things to point out:
1)You don't need to chop off the entire rear "wing" of the LH frame -- unless you use a humongous decoder.I removed only enough of it from the front to get a DZ126 in. It left almost 1/4" of the wing end rear.  Weight counts in N. As for grinding out part of the RH frame, depends on your decoder. I think a Lenz Mini-silver can fit in the missing wing space without any work on the RH frame.
2) There is room to run ONE decoder wire on EACH side of the frame from front to back by nestling them in the "ledge" setback in the frame to let it clear the windows. You could run the RH track pickup wire and one LED wire there, with the other LED wire running down the top gap between the frames. You need to cut a wire channel down the side of each frame to allow the wire to get from the decoder to under the windows.
3) Rather than "floating" the new LED, I think epoxying a new one to a piece of styrene cut to match the old circuit board dimensions, then sticking the styrene board in the old CB slot would be more stable.
4) If you're a klutz with a soldering iron, don't try soldering the wires to the brush caps while they're in the motor if you think you'll melt the plastic motor frame.  Remove the caps (carefully) and solder the wires on, then reinstall the brushes and caps. 

And hey ... I reserve the right to call out a bad tutorial as bad. If you've done multiple hardwire jobs already, this probably is adequate. But for somebody doing their first one, it sucks.

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »
+2
Well seeing that you were not happy with the information that you were given. Maybe you could write up your version that covers everything that you think that was left out.
Looks like you found somethings that were important to know.

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 04:01:47 AM »
If I ever get my defective decoder back, I could continue on this task and maybe  write it up. How much is the pay  for doing so? :D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:36:34 AM »
+3
If I ever get my defective decoder back, I could continue on this task and maybe  write it up. How much is the pay  for doing so? :D

As much as you pay other members for answering your questions.  :trollface:  You get paid with respect points.  ;)
. . . 42 . . .