Author Topic: Saw the new BLI boxcar with mule sounds today... (Eval on Page 8+)  (Read 11587 times)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
Glad I model 1990s.. or I'd have a lot to complain about..

Epic fail on the 3 food rule.. it looks wood sheethed boxcar.. especially the UP one..

Was shipping mules in stock cars a thing back in the day?

The only thing not 'bad' about this car is the price.. if your into railcars that make random farm animal noises..

~Ian
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:07:58 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
Re: Saw the new BLI boxcar with mule sounds today...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:12:09 PM »
If back in the day means late 30s to 40s then yes mules would be right at home on the rails. The number of mules used in WWII is astounding.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
Anyone know how this car picks up electricity?  It occurred to me today that the trucks might be potentially useful.
Aaron Bearden

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
Anyone know how this car picks up electricity?  It occurred to me today that the trucks might be potentially useful.

I would say that the odds are pretty good that it is through the trucks (I don't see it using some tinplate style pickup shoes, even if the car looks like one of those tinplate trains).  :D

But does BLI even sell spare parts for their models?  I never tried to get parts from them. I don't see buying the complete car just to use its trucks.
. . . 42 . . .

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
+2
we should name it the a$$hat car   LOL
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »
I don't see buying the complete car just to use its trucks.

I didn't even think about this, but are these "DC" or "DCC" circuitry?  Is the sound gadget reprogrammable- so you could use it for something besides stock cars?  I don't know, maybe a loud cardgame in the caboose or something.

Maybe there is a "Lionel" N scale market for this kind of stuff, but I will NOT buy a $70 stock car I can't see through.  Heck, I won't even buy a $70 Bachmann coach that I can see through.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »
+1
we should name it the a$$hat car   LOL

I'm sure this car is entirely our fault.  BLI read all the complaints over board spacing on the Rapido meat reefer being too wide, and vowed that they would not make that mistake.  And they succeeded, the boards are definitely not spaced too far apart.
Tom D.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 07:04:38 PM »
I'm sure this car is entirely our fault.  BLI read all the complaints over board spacing on the Rapido meat reefer being too wide, and vowed that they would not make that mistake.  And they succeeded, the boards are definitely not spaced too far apart.

I know that you are just having fun here, but on a serious note (sorry), the entire car seems to have greatly exaggerated engraving.  It looks like one of those close-to-N-scale toy cars which used to be sold in Walmart few years ago.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 07:24:09 PM »
I know that you are just having fun here, but on a serious note (sorry), the entire car seems to have greatly exaggerated engraving.  It looks like one of those close-to-N-scale toy cars which used to be sold in Walmart few years ago.
Seriously, I agree with you.  I don't know that I would go quite so far as your "Walmart" reference- and I am not a freight car expert, so I get myself in trouble challenging on this or that detail, but I can't for the life of me figure out how their marketing department determined that we wanted a scaled down O-27 car and were willing to pay $69.95 for it.  For the price, this should be the most accurate stock car ever made.  I suppose it goes with the "noisy" water tower they are bringing out (which at least looks better in the pictures).
Tom D.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »
But does BLI even sell spare parts for their models?  I never tried to get parts from them. I don't see buying the complete car just to use its trucks.

Well, now that I think about it, I tried to get an HO Pennsy J shell a few years back and made the mistake of mentioning in the email it was for a kitbash.  I was declined since it wasn't for unit repair.  Or something close to that.  It's been a while.
Aaron Bearden

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
I would say that the odds are pretty good that it is through the trucks (I don't see it using some tinplate style pickup shoes, even if the car looks like one of those tinplate trains).  :D

Yes they do sell parts. I have purchased e unit axles from them.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:50:13 PM »
Sorry if I missed this, but is there an actual N scale version photo somewhere? All I can find is HO illustrations and this :facepalm:

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 09:51:17 PM »
Seriously, I agree with you.  I don't know that I would go quite so far as your "Walmart" reference- and I am not a freight car expert, so I get myself in trouble challenging on this or that detail, but I can't for the life of me figure out how their marketing department determined that we wanted a scaled down O-27 car and were willing to pay $69.95 for it.  For the price, this should be the most accurate stock car ever made.  I suppose it goes with the "noisy" water tower they are bringing out (which at least looks better in the pictures).

But the "O-27" car still has see-though sides and maybe even metal stirrups    :D...so its much worse...its a shake your head/facepalm moment....
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
BLI has finally updated their website so the pictures now show how horrible this car is in N scale.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/3350atsfstockcarcattlesoundsn.aspx

Sorry if I missed this, but is there an actual N scale version photo somewhere? All I can find is HO illustrations and this :facepalm:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 10:11:27 PM »
BLI has finally updated their website so the pictures now show how horrible this car is in N scale.

Looking at the MBK site, somebody is buying those things.  :facepalm: :trollface: :D
. . . 42 . . .