Author Topic: My Recent Foray Into Z Scale Paid Off...  (Read 3211 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: My Recent Foray Into Z Scale Paid Off...
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 12:04:59 AM »
Richie:  N narrow gauge, using Z gauge trains, does exist, and I have some on my layout.  Nn2, as far as I know, hasn't been done commercially, and I've never seen pictures of a working model, but Nn3/m/42" is quite practical.

True N scale narrow gauge track would be very nice, and some affordable narrow gauge locos, but handlaying track isn't any harder than in standard gauge, and kitbashing N bodies for Z mechanisms isn't too hard.   there are some kits, with most of them available from Republic Locomotive Works. 

Here's an old picture of a couple of my gons:
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 12:32:45 AM »
Jeez, I think I have one of those cars! :D

Mark in Oregon

So do I.  :)  Well, it is stashed away and I haven't checked the spelling . . .
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 12:36:16 AM »
So why are there no N scale mine and logging using z gauge trains . Should they sell this stuff . Z track with mine and logging ties ? N scale narrow gauge loco's and cars to run in the new Z gauge Nn2 or what it would be . Instead of building a N gauge layout with connections to a dummy narrow gauge industry , one could build a Nn2 layout size industry with a dummy N gauge rail connection .

Narrow gauge N scale (using Z track) is alive and well.  There even is a regular column about it in the N-Scale Magazine. Granted that there isn't much RTR stuff out there but there are quite a few kits available if you look for them.  BTW, the Z track is closer to Nn3 than Nn2.
. . . 42 . . .

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »
So do I.  :)  Well, it is stashed away and I haven't checked the spelling . . .

Sure enough... the box reads "50' Panel Boxcar 1451-B SPRUCEFALLS".

And the car says "Hydraflame-60".

I bought this a long time ago, because I though it was a good-looking car... now I'm not so sure... :)

Mark in Oregon

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »
Sure enough... the box reads "50' Panel Boxcar 1451-B SPRUCEFALLS".

And the car says "Hydraflame-60".

I bought this a long time ago, because I though it was a good-looking car... now I'm not so sure... :)

Mark in Oregon

Same here - I thought it was a good looking car so I bought it (over 20 years ago) and I never even noticed the "FLAME".  :D

Recently NSE came out with the same paint scheme on a MT boxcar. I have that one too and I also haven't checked if it has "FLAME" or "FRAME".  Hopefully NSE got it rigth.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 01:30:42 AM »
Z track is a little wide for Nn3, but is very close to meter gauge and 42 inch gauge, being about 40.5 inches.  The Japanese could model their trains in true N scale very easily on Z gauge track.  That would also allow the bullet trains to run on N standard gauge, and show the difference between them and the ordinary railways.
N Kalanaga
Be well

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
So why are there no N scale mine and logging using z gauge trains . Should they sell this stuff . Z track with mine and logging ties ? N scale narrow gauge loco's and cars to run in the new Z gauge Nn2 or what it would be . Instead of building a N gauge layout with connections to a dummy narrow gauge industry , one could build a Nn2 layout size industry with a dummy N gauge rail connection .

At least I'm not the only one. :D  That is basically what I'm doing with my venture into super tiny power trucks, starting with a mine locomotive.  Many scenes can be created and even switching opportunities if desired.  Man trip cars hauling miners in as well as maintenance cars, equipment cars, and of course, mine cars.  A nice logical extension to the many mine tipple scenes we see on so many layouts and it could be a train scene within a train scene.  At least that's what I envision.  8)
Mark G.