Author Topic: De-Warping Shapeways FUD/FXD?  (Read 1475 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
De-Warping Shapeways FUD/FXD?
« on: July 02, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »
I keep searching but cannot find previous discussions about using warm-to-hot water to reshape FUD with mild warping. How hot (or not)?

C855B

• Crew
Re: De-Warping Shapeways FUD/FXD?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:59:55 PM »
+1
Answer: 140°F. And not much more.

Things were pretty flimsy at that temp after sitting a couple of minutes in the pot, off of direct heat. I was able to hold the corrected shape for a couple of minutes while they air cooled, and now I have straight and non-warped shells.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
thanks for the posts
i will be dealing with several baggage car floors that are warped
it is good to know the solution is this simple
much appreciation!
sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Steve S

• Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
I once had to straighten a warped part.  Hot water from the faucet wasn't enough to soften it, so  I had to heat some in a pot.  I'm not sure exactly how hot it was.  I used a long tweezer to remove it and wore leather gloves to protect my hands.

Steve S

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »
I would be careful using tweezers, for fear they would leave a mark. The resin was noticeably soft. I used cushioned kitchen tongs to fish it out of the pot.

A footnote... overnight, two of the three shells I de-warped returned to their previous state, although not nearly as bad. It looks like another round in the water, and maybe something to hold their corrected shape longer than just a few minutes held by my fingers.

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »
I heated mine in boiling water and then carefully straightened.  I do recall that I had to "over-bend" it to get it straight, and for a month or so, it seemed stable.  I then put it away without painting, as I decided that FUD wasn't what I wanted for naval minis.  Unfortunately 5 years later, the model in question (lower left) has reverted to its original warped condition, and now looks similar to the one at the upper right.

MH
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:59:26 PM by mark.hinds »