Author Topic: Rapido Osgood Bradley Coaches are shipping!!  (Read 4538 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Rapido Osgood Bradley Coaches are shipping!!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 02:52:51 AM »
No White Knights or silver RDC trailers, as those schemes were used onlu on the 11-window commuter coach.

Roof for 8500 series is the same as 8200, with the addition of the a/c hatch positioned over the bathroom between the toilet vents exactly as with the B&M and BAR cars and bigger hoods over the lounge vents.  They appear to be different vents but they are not.  The are the original vents fitted with larger hoods that extend further up and out.  Any kitbash of the two club cars (1000 and 5107) will require additional large roof vents, as the smoking areas in those cars were in different locations than the 8500 series.

FYI, five 8200 cars were refit in 1947-1949 as smokers to match the 8500 series.  NH 8250, 8256, 8258, 8262 and 8265.  Two of the numbers happen to be in Rapido's 24 first-run New Haven numbers, which makes things more convenient.  NH 8250 is one of the Black Knights, while 8258 is one of the Hunter cars.  It also means that 8250 must be a smoker as a Black Knight, since the conversions took place before the Pullman Green change.  The 8258 probably should be converted as well, since the partial skirt removal and the shift of the road name to above the windows took place in 1947.  So at most, the 8258 was without a smoking lounge for a short period between 1947 and 1949.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
SOLD OUT at Rapido, so don't wait much longer if you want any of these outstanding models.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

powersteamguy1790

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »
I picked up six Hunter green cars as well as six Pullman green passenger cars. They are beautiful models. Well done Rapido.

Bob....... 8) 8)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 03:54:08 PM »
This is probably a good thread to mention that if you want to see more details about this model, and what is inside, you can check out my review at https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=39605.0

I will also post a procedure to modify the Easy-Peasy lights to track power (once I find the time for that project).
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
This is probably a good thread to mention that if you want to see more details about this model, and what is inside, you can check out my review at https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=39605.0

I will also post a procedure to modify the Easy-Peasy lights to track power (once I find the time for that project).

If anybody has figured out which yellow-white LEDs can replace the 2 green ones in the original lightboards, I'd like to know to replace mine. The new lightboards are miles ahead of the old ones.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 08:44:48 PM »
+1
If anybody has figured out which yellow-white LEDs can replace the 2 green ones in the original lightboards, I'd like to know to replace mine. The new lightboards are miles ahead of the old ones.

Even if you replace them with other LEDs, it won't be even close to the new ones. The entire light distribution scheme is different.  2 large LEDs shining into a plastic light diffuser will never  be like 5 tiny individual LEDs directly illuminating the interior.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 01:37:59 AM »
Well, Peteski, that's a nice opinion but it doesn't affect my wanting to replace the LEDs in MY lightboards. Does anybody have a substitute white light LED to fit the bill?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 01:42:39 PM »
Well, Peteski, that's a nice opinion but it doesn't affect my wanting to replace the LEDs in MY lightboards. Does anybody have a substitute white light LED to fit the bill?

I just wanted to know that if you expect the old upgraded light boards to be as good as the old ones, you'll be disappointed.

IIRC, those old boards used standard leaded 3mm or 5mm LEDs. But instead of being the usual cylindrical shape, they have flattened shape.  It is practically impossible to find LEDs shaped that wasy (since they are usually custom-made for the specific product.  You could replace them with any of the many available SMD (Surface mount) LEDs which are plenty small enough and are available in many color temperatures.  But since you will have to add wire leads to them, then solder the leads on the back side of the circuit board, the conversion will be a bit more complicated.

The other thing to look for is the LED Vf (forward voltage drop) rating.  Usually white LEDs operate around 3V but since the battery voltage is only 3V to begin with (with some already dropped at the chip which turns them on and off) and then drops off as the battery discharges, you might want to look for LEDs with typical Vf rating of less than 3V..
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 02:49:25 AM »
No LEDs will match as replacements,huh -- well, don't have to be flattened, just not green. Not sure why Rapido used green in the  first place  -- not that many modelers were bemoaning the fact modern cars didn't have tinted windows, were they? Not sure if the new boards will fit or  sit well in the old cars. Hopefully  this is the standard board for  them (do they fit into MTL cars now?) and we're not going to get a v.3 in the next batch of cars.