Author Topic: New Bluford hopper  (Read 1564 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
New Bluford hopper
« on: July 10, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:34:49 PM by GaryHinshaw »

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Re: New Bluford hopper
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:12:50 PM »
Here's a picture of the new bluford 8 panel hopper 8)  C&O and B&O had these I think  8)

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13612111_888855981220035_3334916765810821618_n.jpg?oh=928e227bc82d74f49257c8ae8f11cf80&oe=58340947

Talking to the Bluford rep on Friday, the test shot of the 8-panel hopper appeared unexpectedly at their office in the week between the NSE convention and the NTS, so they made a quick decision to make it their next announcement, even though they only have the artwork done for the B&O, C&O and Southern versions.  I was told doing the artwork for the rest of the first run releases is high on their agenda this week.   :D

Tim

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:19:19 PM »
Tim,
Any chance they might do another body style? All these hoppers are
Plugging a lot of holes for a lot of people but they weren't exactly prevalent in Louisiana in the 1990's
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Doug W

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
You've made by day Bluford. Just what my 1970s Clinchfield North End needs!!!

Keep up the good work.

:)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:30:30 PM »
Southern's were ex-Tennessee Alabama & Georgia 70T aggregate cars used to haul gravel that TA&G purchased from Lake Terminal.  Were quite noticeable hauling coal... they were some of the last twin hoppers the Southern used in the late-70s, with some older converted War-Time former wood cars used between mines and processing centers just a little longer.  Needs a few more rivets though to be fully correct... easily fixed by using Archer rivet decals.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:52:32 PM »
I'll leave the rivet counting to others, but based on the photo and my CEI diagram DVD, the photo bears no small resemblance to a CEI 89000 series. And if I'm right on that, it would go well with the 97000 series (listed as "currently in production" on Bluford's site).
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
I am quite unsure if I should post in a very old thread or if I should use this one, but anyway:

I just received two N Scale USRA 2-Bay Hoppers (60112 Burlington Route C&S 2-pack) with Andrews trucks and must say that I've never had models from Bluford Shops that were as bad runners as these two.

The metals wheels seem to rub at the underside of the hopper and/or to have too much friction inside the truck.

Does anybody else have the same problems? Any suggestions? I could use a washer, but I don't want the hoppers to ride high.

BTW, I am going to keep them because they are very nice, but the problems when running these hoppers are quite puzzling regarding the high quality of other Bluford Shops models.

Javier

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 02:59:59 PM »
I'll leave the rivet counting to others, but based on the photo and my CEI diagram DVD, the photo bears no small resemblance to a CEI 89000 series. And if I'm right on that, it would go well with the 97000 series (listed as "currently in production" on Bluford's site).

Since the C&EI 89000 series were Pullman Standard built they are very close to this car
Edit: this is incorrect see below...

http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=psx3&o=psx

Main differences appear to be the ladder vs grab irons and the location of the winch hooks...

It does raise the question, Is this car based off a PS3? and is there a prototype with grab irons rather than ladders?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:40:22 PM by Missaberoad »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
According to the CEI diagrams, the 89000 cars were built by Pressed Steel Car Co at the old Mt Vernon factory in 1952 (The "PS" in this case is "Pressed Steel").  Overall quite similar to the Pullman car in your photo, other than the 1/2 height ladder with grabs that you point out.  The 88000 were Pullman Standard built in 1945 (10 panel). 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 04:42:13 PM »
According to the CEI diagrams, the 89000 cars were built by Pressed Steel Car Co at the old Mt Vernon factory in 1952 (The "PS" in this case is "Pressed Steel").  Overall quite similar to the Pullman car in your photo, other than the 1/2 height ladder with grabs that you point out.  The 88000 were Pullman Standard built in 1945 (10 panel).

Oh my bad... Saw the PS and assumed...  :D

It would explain why I couldn't find any builders photos in @cv_acr 's archive  :D

Do you know of a photo online of the CE&I hoppers?

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
I think I found a near exact match for these hoppers

C&O series 138000-137999 rebuilt in 1967 from former B&O cars.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/co/co136857kga.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/co/co137772kga.jpg

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »
It's still a very good stand-in for PS-3 twin-bay hoppers, thus the inclusion of New Haven in the group.  I was very pleased to hear this from Craig when we spoke in Kansas City. and doubly pleased to learn then that New Haven would be in the first release.  It's good to see that NH is a good seller for them.  The road always has been strong in N for some reason.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »
It's still a very good stand-in for PS-3 twin-bay hoppers, thus the inclusion of New Haven in the group.

One of the biggest differences, that can be rectified with an Exacto blade, is all the rivets.  As the photo that Ryan shared you can see that just a few ribs had rivets on the two (and three) bay hoppers which can be rectified if a person was so inclined.  For me, as is, the new hopper will fit the bill for some aggregate cars that I would like to represent on my freelanced roads, the 9 ribs being a bit more sturdy than what a 7 ribbed car would be (an example being the TA&G car).  Don't know exactly when I will pop for some but they are on my radar!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:46:55 PM by jmlaboda »

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »
It's still a very good stand-in for PS-3 twin-bay hoppers, thus the inclusion of New Haven in the group.  I was very pleased to hear this from Craig when we spoke in Kansas City. and doubly pleased to learn then that New Haven would be in the first release.  It's good to see that NH is a good seller for them.  The road always has been strong in N for some reason.

Absolutely and with a couple simple changes it would be a near exact match to that demonstrator.
Excited to see what's in the pipeline for these as there are many rebuilt and shop built cars that are very close.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 07:56:05 PM »
I am quite unsure if I should post in a very old thread or if I should use this one, but anyway:

I just received two N Scale USRA 2-Bay Hoppers (60112 Burlington Route C&S 2-pack) with Andrews trucks and must say that I've never had models from Bluford Shops that were as bad runners as these two.

The metals wheels seem to rub at the underside of the hopper and/or to have too much friction inside the truck.

Does anybody else have the same problems? Any suggestions? I could use a washer, but I don't want the hoppers to ride high.

BTW, I am going to keep them because they are very nice, but the problems when running these hoppers are quite puzzling regarding the high quality of other Bluford Shops models.

Javier

Had the same problem with my C&O ones.  The flanges on the included wheels seemed to rub against the chutes if the car was on any sort of curve.  Replaced the wheelsets with FVM 33" wheels (use the ones for Atlas/Intermountain, not the MT replacements).  Problem solved.  Another likely fix would be to replace the trucks with MT Andrews trucks without couplers and MT lo-profile wheels, but I haven't tried this.

John C.