Author Topic: National Train Show Indy  (Read 10177 times)

BOK

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: National Train Show Indy
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »
Good Morning:

If any of you are going to the show today could you check with Atlas to see if they have announced new pieces of N scale code 65 track? I heard this was supposed to be announced.

Thanks, and have a great day.

Barry

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
just got back from the show...

my only comment is that the show felt smaller than I thought it would be.

maybe it was b/c it was all consolidated in 3 huge halls...  but when I compare it to Springfield, it felt smaller.

maybe b/c Springfield is in 4 buildings and not 1...

but surely there are more vendors and foot traffic and layouts at Springfield.  I feel confident saying that much.

as far as quality of the show...  that is more of a personal preference.

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »
Anything noteworthy to report?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »
Anything noteworthy to report?

If you are contemplating installing sound in a hood diesels, see my post in the DCC section.

John C.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
Wasnt Scaletrains to announce two new N scale freight cars?

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2016, 10:19:29 PM »
It's there at the show.  It just hasn't been posted online and won't be until Atlas returns from summer break in a couple of weeks.  But maybe someone at the show will report on the contents.

I picked up an Atlas July-Dec 2016 catalog; announcements for N-scale are as follows:
Locomotives
July - GP35 (EL, MP, WAB BN, PRR, DRG&W, ATSF)
Aug - RS-3/RSD-4/5 (B&M, CP, GN, SAL, NYC, P&LE, JC, ATSF, C&O, MILW)
Sep - 8-40C/CW (UP, CSX, Minn Comm, Sara & N. Creek, MR&T, BNSF, AOK, P&W)
Oct - GP15 (CSX, Cal North, PS&P, Vent Cty, N&PBL, UP, CNW, Conrail)
Nov - RS-1 (C&EI, LIRR, NP, Rut, AC&Y, M&StL, SP&S, Susq)
Dec - GP7/9Burl, DRG&W, Lack, SOU, Chessie, PRR, UP)

Fright Cars
July - 2-Bay offset hoppers
July - F89J 89' Flat Cars
Aug - ACF 60' Auto Part Boxcars
Aug - Evans 52' Gondola
Sep - USRA Double Sheathed Boxcars
Sep - EV & Standard Vision Cabooses
Oct - PS4000 Covered Hoppers
Oct - Beer Can Tank Cars
Nov - PS2750 Triple Hoppers
Nov - ACF 50'6 Boxcars
Dec - FMC 5077 DD Boxcar (New Model)
Dec - Trinity 566- Covered Hopper (New Model)

Tim

POVC

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2016, 10:21:02 PM »
Wasnt Scaletrains to announce two new N scale freight cars?

If so, they changed there mind, since the only N-scale stuff in their both was the turbines and the containers.  Also nothing in their catalog about N-scale freight.

Tim

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »
Just returned to Springfield, IL.  My first impression of the show was that it was smaller than the other two Nationals that I attend--on par with Milwaukee's annual Trainfest.

The biggest potential good news for N scale actually occurred in HO.  I spoke with Shane Wilson of Scale Trains at length on Friday and again today.  They announced and had examples on display of their HO SD40-2.  Shane recently joined Railwire.  The Operator level HO SD40-2 with DCC and Sound will be $119.99 and $79.99 DC!  Amazing.

Operator level means multiple roadnames on the same shell with the same details.  Rivet Counter which has roadname specific detail (different cabs, hood length etc) will be $199.99 for DCC and Sound and $139.99 for DC.

Shane asked my opinion as to whether or not N scale would support the higher priced Rivet Counter option with the accompanying roadname specific details.  I gave an enthusiastic  "yes".  I also said that my Kato SD40-2's are about 20 years old and that the Railwire guys were critical about the assembly quality of IM along with lack of availability.

I asked if the SD40-2 would be their first diesel (after telling me that their next offering in N would be a diesel)  and he said,  "no tooling has been cut yet."

Shane said that he still expects to announce two freight cars later this year.

Scaletrains also had 6 version of the UP Turbine Big Blows on display.  I was concerned with the photos of the nose grabirons that appeared too large but they looked fine in person--particularly as Peteski pointed out , that exact scale grabirons would not be robust enough to withstand everyday handling.  As soon as I finish this post I will pre-order mine.  This is not a paid endorsement  :D  I am just very impressed with the products they displayed in both N and HO and admire the cajones that it takes to launch a new hobby company.

Speaking of cajones, I did a triple take at the Bachmann Sound Value 2-8-0.  Looks identical to the ones I have had for years.  I like sound and I know that Bachmann street price is usually deeply discounted but $399.00??  I also looked at the GG-1's.  I have no expertise regarding GG-1's but the shiny chrome plated pantographs looked out of place.

Spent a long time with Ken Sylvestri of Broadway Limited.  I passed on how pleased my buddy in Florida was with his Pennsy M1 and the favorable reviews on Railwire.  As he told some of you before he thinks the next N scale loco with be the Pennsy 4-4-4-4.. He expects the N scale PA's, Thunder and Lightening generator and N scale stockcars will arrive in the next three weeks. We were having such a pleasant conversation that I did not bring up the issue of the solid sides on the stockcars.

Speaking of pleasant conversations, I watched the TomyTec display layout which had their operating busses (and trolleys).  There were three company reps there from Japan so I asked if the bus could operate over any wire and not just their roadway sections since they would not be compatible with my layout.  One rep showed me the wire on the bottom of their road pieces while the other showed me a catalog of all of the different road pieces they offer.  No English was spoken though they at least understood I was asking about the wire.  I speak no Japanese and we smiled at one another a lot and they handed me lots of catalogs.  I guess I will have to order a power chassis and conduct my own tests as to how well it tracks over wire under my cardstock roads. BTW bus performance on their roadway was very impressive.

Tried to buy some detail stuff from Model Tech Studios and when asking a question was told, "What you see is what you get."  What they didn't see anymore was me.

All in all I had a good time.  Spent a few bucks on a nice piece of 8 X 10 art of Chicago's Dearborn station, bought a book on RR's in Chicago,  4 sets of Micro Metals semi cabs and trailers for $24 and some Legos for the granddaughter.

My feet hurt.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 11:21:56 PM »
@POVC Tim, is  that MR&T listing in the Atlas 8Dash40C/cw  Milwaukee Racine & Troy?
Peter Pfotenhauer

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2016, 08:17:28 AM »
@POVC Tim, is  that MR&T listing in the Atlas 8Dash40C/cw  Milwaukee Racine & Troy?

Probably since they are already dong them in HO.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
Probably since they are already dong them in HO.

Thanks. I did not know they were a go in HO.

As a freelancer, I'd like to see more freelance road names on engines as a way to help anchor my layout in an alternate reality.
Peter Pfotenhauer

POVC

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »

Yes.  They are showing 3 paint schemes; Blue, Blue with white cab, and black Operation Lifesaver.  Listing shows a single number for each.

Tim

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »
Light Pacific? We have one of those by MRC. Why not a heavy Pacific?

That sand dome sure doesn't look like a USRA Light... don't know what their prototype is but the MRC/MP steamer is accurate even if it isn't the best detailed.

Spent a long time with Ken Sylvestri of Broadway Limited... As he told some of you before he thinks the next N scale loco with be the Pennsy 4-4-4-4.

Wow!!!  Wonder if the folks at The T1 Trust knows of this?  Might be something they can donate a portion of the sales too...

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »
Yes.  They are showing 3 paint schemes; Blue, Blue with white cab, and black Operation Lifesaver.  Listing shows a single number for each.

Tim

Is there a link yet? I can't find a listing on their website for Dash 8s of any flavor in MR&T.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2016, 07:43:21 PM »
Is there a link yet? I can't find a listing on their website for Dash 8s of any flavor in MR&T.

No, the catalog will be posted soon, likely in the next couple weeks and the dash 8's will be posted to the website with the September announcement... Likely avalible next year
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface: